The Workbench of Prometheus

Author's Note: Happy belated holidays to all! 

I apologise for the delay. It's been a bit heavy to write and I've had to dip out and work on some later instalments for my mental health. Recently, I've been working on two new companion pieces – one rather touching story for Lal & another for 'Duckling.'

She's a character that hasn't been introduced yet – but she is her father's kindred spirit and is fondly dubbed 'Duckling' or 'Duckie' both for her sweet disposition and her mop of shockingly blonde curls.

With that said, it means my goal of finishing this story by the start of the year has come and past. Unfortunately, it will take us a bit longer to reach the conclusion & start our sequel.

But fear not! I promise you it *is* worth every word.

These last few chapters have pushed Data further than expected. They've left Tasha questioning the progress she's made.

This Arsenal of Freedom arc was about more than just breaking up the Conspiracy storyline. I really wanted to do a bit of character exploration for Data, give Geordi that leadership bit, hit some Riker/Tasha friendship moments, and start building for the Beverly/Jean-Luc subplot (I adore their banter).

As always, you are simply the best readers! I love talking about the fandom and hearing your thoughts. Thank you for your kind words of support.

-X-

"Did you see the way it looked at this?" Riker asked.

He turned over the arm of Tasha's discarded EV suit in his hands. Riker had been fascinated by the drone's behaviour.

"Hmm," Tasha murmured in agreement.

She was sitting back against the dirt wall in their hovel, her attention fixated on ripping apart reeds for makeshift rope.

She had said little since their return.

"It was like it registered a humanoid form and it knew it was no longer a threat," Riker went on. "It must think we're dead."

Tasha remained silent.

"That's good!" Riker said brightly as he looked up at Tasha. "This gives us an advantage."

Once more, Tasha said nothing.

"It's brilliant technology," Riker said.

He wasn't sure exactly how it worked – and clearly it wasn't a perfect science. If their theory was right, the device had not been able to distinguish between a humanoid shape and an actual person.

"Maybe we can use this to-"

"To what?" Tasha asked, finally looking up.

Her tone wasn't one of anger. Rather, she sounded exhausted.

Will wasn't sure how to respond.

"How long before that thing figures out it's the same suit? Or that it's moved? For all we know that thing might have let us go because it's waiting for us to lead it back to more people or the Enterprise," Tasha said.

She flopped back against the dirt wall behind her and closed her eyes.

"Sorry, I don't know what I'm saying," she confessed.

"It's okay," Riker assured her.

"We've got about six hours until the sun goes down. We should try to get as much of this stripped as we can so I can make a rope walk tonight," Tasha said. "We'll do it under the cover of darkness."