The Uncertainty Principle

Author's Note: Thank you all for your likes, kudos, comments, and support.

And now on to part two.

-X-

"Someone has been taking advantage of the scheduled communications transmissions to piggyback encrypted messages between this ship and the Thomas Paine," Remmick explained. "I never would have found them except that someone on the Yamato used a Captain's channel transmission to radio a Priority One hail during your recent trip to rendezvous with the Berlin."

Remmick paused and cleared his throat.

"A trip in which the Enterprise has lost nearly twenty-fours of time that cannot be accounted for," Remmick explained.

Remmick sat down in the chair directly next to Tasha and slid the tablet back toward her.

"Whoever sent these messages knew enough to choose a time when their record would be covered up by the regularly scheduled ship's transmission. They knew enough to wipe the log, clean the device, and reset it," Remmick went on.

He was right of course – but Tasha also knew he had no evidence that could tie her to such an accusation.

"Someone knew which forensic countermeasures to use to cover their tracks," Remmick continued.

He sat back and folded his hands in his lap as Tasha glanced at the tablet.

"Now, when I examine who would have the training to know these steps and just which crew members have connections to the crew on the Thomas Paine, I'm left with a fairly short list," Remmick said.

It barely ruffled Tasha.

"Commander Remmick, none of this is a violation of Regulations nor a crime. Perhaps if you could tell me what it is you are investigating, then maybe I can assist you better?" Tasha suggested.

Remmick's stare was cold, his determination unwavering.

"What was in the letters, Lieutenant?" Remmick asked directly.

Tasha raised her eyebrows and put on the best face of innocence she could muster.

"Commander, you have presented no evidence linking me to these messages," Tasha said.

To her surprise, Remmick smirked.

"You have been very careful not to lie," Remmick commented.

Indeed she had been.

Tasha had learned from her legal training never to lie when questioned – it could come back to haunt her later if more evidence came out.

So she had chosen her words carefully so as to answer Remmick's questions with honesty and candour without offering any bonus information that might incriminate her.

Never admit fault – and never lie.

"What do you know about Romulan infiltration in Starfleet Command?" Remmick demanded.

"I'm afraid I'm not privy to that sort of information. I don't know of any Romulan infiltration," Tasha answered.

Truthfully, she didn't have any evidence – just an inkling.

"But surely you do suspect Romulan espionage on the Enterprise," Remmick pressed.

"Does this have to do with our incident at the Neutral Zone on Stardate 41636.9?" Tasha inquired.

She was referring to their run in with the Romulans following their mission to Angel One. There was no doubt someone (or a group) was involved in orchestrating such an elaborate cover for an information exchange.