In the Club

Author's Note: Thank you all for your ongoing support on this series.

This chapter is something I've been working on since the earliest days of The Complication. I don't know if I've shared this before – but when I first got the idea for this story, I knew exactly how I wanted it to start and end all the way from "The Complication -> "Happy Ending."

And within that framework there were three pivotal moments that helped lay the foundation for our story – Hero Worship, Measure of a Man, and the Conspiracy/Romulan arc.

This chapter will bring about the conclusion of Hero Worship – at least from Timothy's perspective. I wanted to give Timothy a better ending than the original episode. It always seemed a bit cold the way that story tapered off.

And while Timothy's story is coming to an end, Data & Tasha's story is about to heat up. This chapter isn't as heavily focused on action. It's mostly about Data & Tasha working with Deanna as they process the aftermath of their experience with Timothy.

The repercussions of this chapter will have a significant impact on Data and Tasha's relationship – carrying throughout this story as well as the sequels The Crucible (S2-S3) and The Course We Set (S3-S4).

-X-

Chapter-specific C/W:

- There is a brief mention of child services, abuse, and mistreatment.

- This chapter also contains a bit of a steamy ending – more so than I normally write. Thanks to Lady_Lore for her help in this.

-X-

Deanna took a small sip of her mocha Raktajino and watched the exchange unfolding before her with rapt attention.

The Enterprise was back in Federation space and en route to Starbase 514 with the results of their investigation into the destruction of the Vico.

Deanna had spent most of the day in Tasha's quarters as she conducted a series of interviews.

This was the eighth interview they had performed.

"We've known Timothy since he was three," the man said.

He was Doctor Ian Moran, a neighbour of the late Mr and Mrs Brennan.

"My husband and I first me the Brennans when they moved here. Their son is just a little older than our James," said Lieutenant Andy Moran, Doctor Moran's spouse.

"You see they lived just down the corridor from us and well, two young families with rambunctious little boys – it was nice to have someone sort of going through the same parenting experience," Ian said.

All day, Tasha had been conducting these interviews with people that knew the Brennans on Starbase 514. She wanted to get a sense of just who the Moran's were and what their interest was in Timothy.

Deanna had watched with rapt attention as Tasha combed through her notes, using her best soothing interview voice to draw out information without making it seem like an interrogation.

"You filed a petition of interest in custody of Timothy," Tasha said, referencing her notes.

"Yes," Andy acknowledged.

"At the time of their death, Mr and Mrs Brennan did not leave instructions for Timothy's care," Tasha said.

It was true – there was no custody arrangement in order. Apparently, prior to their divorce, there had been an arrangement on file. Unfortunately, that agreement had been tossed out six months prior.