Drop the Shields

Author's Note: Onward we go. As you may have noticed, there are some differences between this interpretation and the original Hero Worship.

This will be a three-part arc. (The next chapter primarily works through what happens next for Timothy as well as how this experience has influenced Data.)

I needed to find a way to work around Timothy's 'android' persona in a way that fit with our storyline. Since Data has identifiable emotions in this series, Timothy isn't so much trying to emulate an 'emotionless' android.

Rather, he sees Data as a hero – strong, popular, and always doing the right thing.

Timothy's attempt to transform himself into Data is more about trying to embody those characteristics in himself.

Some of the information revealed in this chapter regarding Jean-Luc & Beverly's relationship will be explored in future in a companion piece called The Complex Equation.

Thank you for all your support!

-X-

Chapter C/W: Anxiety attacks & trauma. Conversations re: death of parents, pregnancy, and miscarriage.

­­-X-

Deanna and Data were standing in the far corner of the room observing as Timothy twitched and moved his head around to study different objects while eating his breakfast.

"An android," Data said in disbelief.

Do I really look like that? Data thought, watching Timothy's erratic movements.

Data made a mental note to ask Tasha later.

"I know it sounds unusual, but it is understandable. Technically, it's called enantiodromia. Conversion into the opposite," Deanna shared. "Timothy went from being a young boy that was alone and, in his mind, weak to an android."

It made perfect sense.

"He's emulating the strongest person he knows – the person he wants to be," Deanna went on. "You demonstrated superior strength, composure during a crisis, and you have many friends. It's everything he wants to be."

Data frowned.

"Counsellor, I am socially awkward and fail to recognise social cues. I lack the natural human instincts necessary to 'blend in' and do not possess the charisma that many humanoids display," Data protested.

Deanna flashed Data a wry smile.

"None of that matters to a young boy. He sees you as a hero. You're strong and well-liked," Deanna explained. "You're his Superman."

"So this is a good thing?" Data inquired.

Deanna rocked her head back and forth.

"It's a step," Deanna said. "The underlying trauma is still there. Timothy has just found a way to suppress it."

Data felt awful. Emotional suppression was such a huge roadblock in his own development that Data couldn't help but feel responsible.

"Then all I have done is delay his progress," Data lamented.

"No!" Deanna assured him. "This is a good thing. We can use this. Timothy is rebuilding his identity. As soon as he feels more confident in himself, the less he will rely on imitating you. We'll start to see his own personality shine through."

Deanna gave Data a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

"In fact, your own journey through emotional development could be a great tool in helping Timothy," Deanna said.