When It Rains, It Shines

Author's Note: Thank you for all of your continued support on this story. 

Long chapter. I couldn't bring myself to break it. 

In this chapter, we get a little more backstory about Picard and Tasha's mentor/protégé relationship. We're AU with dates here as I envision they met one another long before her service to the Enterprise. Sorry, I just adore the idea of there being a father/daughter relationship there – much like Picard having a father/son relationship with Data.

"Prima hermana" means cousin.

This required me to go back and tweak a line earlier in the story about Tasha and Picard's first meeting. So, if you re-read and see a small change in the chapter "Moonbeam"- it was in order to accommodate this change.

I don't really like to do that, but I got the idea for this scene and couldn't bring myself to cut it.

Hence, a small rewrite that I hope still preserves the idea of Alfie's loss leading Tasha to the Enterprise and Data.

In this story, the Enterprise-D was commissioned in 2663 rather than 2664. I like to think that the team had at least a year under their belt before we hit The Naked Now given how close many of them are.

Majel Barrett's voice: And now the conclusion... 

----------

Commander Riker groaned. He could feel his face was pressed against something cold.

No, he was lying down.

Oh, right. He realised as he was on the ground.

The last thing he could remember was Tasha's voice warning them to brace for impact.

The next he knew, he was face-down on the ground as she cautioned that they were going to lose consciousness.

"Sir?" Worf asked.

Riker sat back on his knees and rubbed his head.

"What happened?" Riker asked as he looked around and took in the scene before him.

"I'm not exactly sure, sir," Geordi answered. "We all blacked out."

"It felt similar to the g force training at the Academy," Worf added.

"That could happen if we were suddenly pulling a lot of g's," Wes theorised aloud.

His eyes lit up.

"Which occurs at high speeds or when the body passes near large objects. Theoretically we may have just travelled within proximity of the black hole," Wesley suggested.

Like Riker, Miles was on the floor too, sitting against the door and cradling his left arm.

He'd definitely dislocated his shoulder.

Worse than that, there was an excruciating pain in his leg. Miles was pretty sure it was broken.

"Keiko is going to have my head," Miles said with a sigh.

----------

"Anything on sensors yet?" Captain Picard asked.

He was sitting in the Command Chair on the bridge of the Enterprise. His elbow was propped up on the armrest as he rubbed his chin.

The Calypso had embarked on its journey nine days earlier.

He knew that the time dilation effect of the black hole meant that it would take days for them to emerge – even though it would only feel like hours for Tasha and Data.