Beneath the Surface

Author's Note: Thank you all so much for being a part of this journey. Your likes, kudos, comments, and DMs are just wonderful! 

I appreciate your patience as this month has been lighter on the updates while I've been working on some of my original fiction. The mood struck (and that's what pays...).

Our next wee arc here is going to feature what I hope is an action-packed fun adventure as our crew embark on a joint mission with the Jarada.

Regarding the timeline, this story is set approximately six weeks after The Void.

----------

"What do you think they want?" Geordi asked.

"I'm not sure," Riker answered honestly. "It was a priority communication from Admiral Hanson."

"But you did hear him mention the Jarada sector?" Miles clarified.

Riker nodded.

The senior officers were assembled in the Observation Lounge. It was 17:00 hours and they had been paged to emergency meeting.

Their last encounter with the Jarada had required weeks of preparation. The Jarada were highly advanced, insectoid race that were known for their strict adherence to a complicated series of protocols. Everything from the way they ate to where they walked was dictated by these rules.

It was the foundation of their society.

Prior to the Enterprise-D negotiating a successful introduction, there had been a twenty-year rift between the Jarada and the Federation, precipitated by a previous failed attempt in which a minor matter of breaking protocol had resulted in the deaths of a substantial number of officers.

Upon hearing the Jarada were involved in whatever situation they were about to warp into, everyone was on edge.

It wasn't that they held any prejudice against the Jarada.

Rather, they were dreading the amount of work that lay ahead.

They couldn't afford any mistakes when it came to interacting with the Jaradan people and that meant extensive preparations.

Looming over all of this was the fact that the Jarada were a more advanced people. Their ships could outrun Galaxy-class cruisers and their weapons were far superior.

If it came to a firefight, the Enterprise would be at a serious tactical disadvantage.

Worf and Tasha exchanged a dark look across the table, silently communicating their concerns to one another about their tactical position on such a mission.

The only one that didn't seem bothered was Data.

"This is a most interesting opportunity to learn more about the Jaradan people," he said brightly.

Deanna smirked.

She could tell Data's excitement was genuine.

However, she could also sense that everyone else was pleasantly amused by his reaction but didn't want to dampen his spirits.

Before anyone could react, Captain Picard swept into the Observation Lounge and took a seat at the end of the table.

"We've been ordered outside of Federation space to assist in a joint mission with the Jarada," Captain Picard announced.

Deanna could sense the Captain's trepidation.

"What is the nature of our mission, sir?" Data inquired.

Please be scientific! Data thought with eager anticipation.

Captain Picard shifted uncomfortably in his chair.