The Appendix

Author's Note: Eek! We're finally here! This is intended to be one of the fun chapters before we hit Measure of a Man.

Geordi, Miles, and Worf don't mean any harm – they're just excited!  

This chapter is soooo long, but I couldn't bear to cut any of it. 

As a whole, this chapter introduces a whole new level of how misunderstandings and snippets of gossip can lead people to hear what they want. It is partially inspired by the M*A*S*H episode Check Up and the Are You Being Served classic episode Mrs Slocombe Expects.

This chapter does delve into a little bit more background on why Tasha's so hung up on the concept of marriage. It also offers some additional insight into Turkanan lore.

It sets the stage for Measure of a Man and I hope you enjoy.

As a reminder, in this universe, there's about a year between Encounter at Farpoint and The Naked Now.

Also, the medical advancements of this era enable them to detect pregnancy, screen for things like gestational diabetes much sooner than we currently can, and work miracles that our modern medicine is not capable of.

Chapter specific C/W: mentions of pregnancy & antenatal complications. However, there is no actual pregnancy in this chapter.

Thank you!

-X-

Tasha sat back and wiped her chin.

"Don't say it," she said as she put one finger up.

She could feel Data hovering at the door. He'd followed her out of bed.

It was almost 05:00 and this was the third time Tasha had gotten up. Dry heaving was awful, but she could barely stomach the notion of eating or drinking anything.

She was burning up. She felt like she wanted to rip her skin off.

"I believe it would be prudent to visit Sickbay," Data advised.

"I just need a shower," Tasha replied, waving him off.

Half an hour later, they were seated across the table from one another.

"How are you feeling?" Data inquired.

"Much better," Tasha smiled. "See? Told you it would pass."

-X-

Data was almost late to his shift because of a disagreement with Tasha. She'd insisted she was fine. While she truly did look better, Data remained concerned.

Humans did not suddenly begin vomiting or develop a fever without a cause.

And with all of the advanced medicine that was quite literally at their fingertips, Data could not understand Tasha's aversion to visiting Sickbay.

He reasoned it likely had something to do with her childhood. Medical care was primitive at best on Turkana – a blend of ancient Earth techniques carried across the galaxy combined with the folk techniques of the Turkanan natives.

What Data didn't know was the real reason why Tasha was so hesitant to go to Sickbay.

Her symptoms had come on fast. There had been no warning.

She'd taken a hypospray for the pain the night before and it had done nothing.

Tasha had seen this before on Turkana.