Why?

Author's Note: Thank you so much for your continued support on this story!

Data/Lore/Frankenstein/The Soong Family Drama

This was an intentional inclusion. Once we get through The Battle and The Big Goodbye, Datalore is next on our journey. We'll be addressing why Data has such a big blank spot in his own memories and find out some important clues to his development & changes – including why he's experiencing things like taste and why he's got this built-in need to make babies.

Like Q, I intend to use Lore more frequently than canon. He'll be back again before the conclusion of this story capping season 1. He's got some legitimate grievances. I think he's more misguided than evil.

We'll also see the "Frankenstein's Creature" motif play out again in a different instalment...hint hint.

Sela/Turkana

So yeah...Sela. IMHO, she's a tragic villain that was a victim of her circumstances. She was child – a half human/half Romulan child that looks arguably more human than most Romulans we've seen.

That can't have been an easy childhood.

I think Sela's existence in and of itself causes Captain Picard some significant trauma in the canon material (fingers crossed we see this addressed in Picard). Canon never allowed us to explore Sela and Tasha's relationship and how that likely would cause some significant strain for both women – but in this series, we are *definitely* going to dive into that mess (along with more on Turkana, Tasha and Ishara's strained relationship, and her reasons for leaving).

Sidenote: if you like reading more about Tasha and Sela's mother-daughter relationship, I encourage you to check out my story Yesterday's Enterprise – Borrowed Time.

Please note, it is not set in the same universe as The Complication. AU retelling of Yesterday's Enterprise in which Data accompanies Tasha to the Enterprise-C. Focuses on Sela's early childhood. See story for specific content warnings. It's a WIP.

As always, if you like to chat about writing or the fandom join me on Trek Twitter @TheTartanTart.

----------

Tasha was up early the next day. Data took his time getting dressed as he scoured through his wardrobe choices. Outside of the holodeck, Data rarely wore anything other than his uniform.

It was a nice treat to be able to take time in the morning as he readied himself.

As he buttoned up his waistcoat, Data allowed his thoughts to drift. The vast majority of his life had been spent in the service of Starfleet. He had never before seen any reason to experiment with his own personal appearance.

A part of him had always been hesitant to play around with colours, patterns, and styles for fear that it would further highlight the differences between himself and humans.

But since beginning his service on the Enterprise, Data had come to find that humanoid fashion was just as diverse as people themselves.

Data had always admired Geordi's ability to look sharp. Geordi knew precisely what to wear for any occasion.

As Data admired his own appearance in the mirror, he only hoped that it would live up to Geordi's tutelage.

----------

"That is most certainly not Victorian," Data commented as he came down the ladder to find Tasha pulling a bottle of hot sauce from her satchel.

"Don't ask me to go five days without this," Tasha pleaded.