The Ghost Ship

When a Ferengi vessel shows up with a ship from Captain Picard's past, Tasha is worried about how it will impact the Jaradan mission. Geordi's date night with Sonya is more explosive than anticipated.

Author's Note: Thank you for all of your likes, kudos, reviews/comments, and dms on this story! I sincerely appreciate all the support and love. Thank you!

This chapter is a mix between a character study of Captain Picard and his relationship with the crew. It's balanced with some fun moments – including a date between Geordi and Sonya.

Just on a note on Deanna's line regarding Bok's intentions – this line is from the episode. Trek itself is fairly inconsistent on Betazoid abilities and Ferengi brains. At times, it is established that Betazoid abilities are incapable of penetrating Ferengi brains. In other episodes, we see both Deanna and Lwaxana use their abilities to pick up on Ferengi feelings.

To reconcile this, I'm working under the assumption that full Betazoid telepathic abilities are not able to read Ferengi thoughts. However, empathic feelings can be picked up.

As always, feel free to join me on Twitter @TheTartanTart.

----------

Captain's Log. Stardate 41728.3. In response to a Starfleet order, we have rerouted to the Xendi Sabu star system in order to rendezvous with a Ferengi vessel that has requested a meeting. Although we arrived here and made appropriate signals to the Ferengi three days ago, they have so far responded only with the message 'stand by Enterprise.'

----------

Captain Picard sat back in his chair and took a sip of his tea. He was having his usual morning breakfast with Beverly in his quarters.

"What's on your mind?" Beverly asked.

Jean-Luc didn't respond. He was lost in his own thoughts.

"You're awfully pensive this morning," Beverly commented, hoping to stir a reaction.

Jean-Luc said nothing.

"I was thinking of going blonde," Beverly said.

"I agree," Captain Picard said absentmindedly.

Beverly grinned behind her saucer. Whatever was on his mind had clearly occupied his thoughts entirely.

Suddenly, Captain Picard sat upright and looked across the table at Beverly.

"Blonde?" he asked. "Really?"

He cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"Only to get your attention," Beverly said innocently.

Jean-Luc kicked himself internally.

Had she said something important?

Was this an invitation to air their feelings?

Jean-Luc collected his thoughts and said the only thing he could think of that would both acknowledge the situation and not waste such an important opportunity.

"You have always had my attention, Beverly," he said softly.

Beverly did her best to bite back a smart remark. Her comment had certainly had the intended effect – and then some.

"For the record, I meant this morning," Beverly clarified.

She could see the Captain's attempt to hide his embarrassment at having said more than he intended.