The Petty Bickering

Author's Note: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You are all simply the best readers. <3

I want to give a HUGE shoutout to @charlotte84mishima for their amazing piece of fanart inspired by our companion piece Lullabies and Goodnights. All y'all best get over to Tumblr and check it out – I literally had happy tears.

-X-

Majel Barrett's voice: Where we last left off....

"You did all of this for me?" Deanna asked.

Before Will Riker could respond, the door to Ten Forward opened. Lwaxana and Wyatt swept into the room.

"Ah! Here we are," Lwaxana said.

Deanna sniffled, fighting back tears.

When she turned, Lwaxana could see her daughter was misty-eyed. In reading the emotional states of both Will Riker and her daughter, Lwaxana had a fairly good idea that she had interrupted a private moment.

Curses. She lamented.

Lwaxana invited Riker to stay and help Deanna and Wyatt with the planning.

For Deanna, this brought on a series of mixed emotions. In a way, she was grateful that Riker was there with her. She valued his input and appreciated including him in the process. They were dear friends, and she had asked for his support.

At the same time, it felt bittersweet.

For years she had imagined taking these steps with Will Riker.

Choosing table runners and appetizers, cocktails and music. This was supposed to be something they did together as lovers.

And it hurt knowing that in this capacity Will was only there as a friend.

Lwaxana could sense this pain. She had hoped it would be enough to convince Deanna to call off the wedding.

Yet as the afternoon wore on, it become more and more apparent that Deanna was sticking to her guns.

Lwaxana realised she would have to resort to plan C. She would have to go lower.

I'll just have to get diabolical. Lwaxana thought.

-X-

Wyatt was already dressed and ready for the engagement dinner by 16:00 hours. He'd decided to use the extra time to sketch and relax.

With his charcoals in hand, he sat down on the sofa near the edge of the window and set to work.

It was the same image he always drew – a woman that he'd known for as long as he could remember. He could see her clearly in his mind.

He felt like he knew her.

And yet, Wyatt had never actually met her.

With nimble fingers, he delicately traced the edge of her wispy blonde curls.

Anytime Wyatt was depressed or lonely, he turned to his sketchpad. Wyatt had always called her Deanna. But now that he had actually met Deanna Troi, Wyatt knew that name did not suit her.

There was a soft knock at the door.

Wyatt quickly closed his sketch pad and leapt up. He straightened his shirt and smoothed his hair before answering.

The door slid back to reveal Lwaxana Troi.

"Wyatt!" she cried as she slipped inside without waiting for an invitation.