Life As We Know It

Author's Note: You all are simply the best! I cannae tell you how reaffirming it is to wake up to your kind words, DMs, and support.  

The events of Home Soil are going to play a significant role in Data's life – all the way up through The Compass (AKA our retelling of Picard).

When I set out to write this series, I really wanted to provide an immersive experience. The hope is to build on the Trek we know and love while upping the ante. The beauty of fanfiction is that without budget or production restraints, we are free to explore plots, subplots, character development, and relationships that fell by the wayside.

Home Soil is one of those storylines.

The events of this chapter are going to ripple down through Measure of a Man, The Offspring, the Borg arc, and the events of Picard.

I feel this is not only important to Data's development as an artificial lifeform, but also to his personal development as an individual.

Thank you for taking this journey with me!

-X-

"And there was no indication of anything unusual about his behaviour prior to leaving the canteen?" Data inquired.

"N-n-no," Sonya said as she tried to keep pace with the rest of the team.

Commander Data was a great deal taller than Sonya. The combination of his long legs and his concern for Geordi had him walking at a steady pace.

Even Tasha and Worf were almost jogging to keep up as they swept through the corridor.

"I want Jae, Jeffords, Olivet, and Wen geared up and ready to go in fifteen minutes. We'll rendezvous in Transporter Room Two and accompany the search team," Tasha ordered.

Tasha tapped her combadge to communicate these orders on to her team.

"Maybe there's a reason he went down there?" Deanna suggested.

"Geordi would not return to the planet without authorisation," Data said.

"Something's fishy," Riker commented.

He didn't like it one bit.

There was no explanation for the officers that had been attacked in the Transporter Room. They were not yet conscious to offer any information. Lieutenant La Forge's access codes had been used to override the security controls, disable the phaser alarm, and activate the transporter pad.

However, it remained unclear if Geordi did this of his own volition or under coercion. Either way, it had left everyone rattled.

After his abrupt departure and Sonya's discovery in the Transporter Room, she had radioed the Bridge.

The team had immediately sprung into action.

"You're really taking a whole Security team? Is Geordi in danger?" Sonya inquired.

"Ensign, why don't you head back to your quarters? We'll keep you posted once we know more," Tasha said.

"Is there anything I could do to help?" Sonya asked.

"I'll meet you there," Tasha said, giving Worf's elbow a squeeze.

She paused and let the others walk past. Sonya stopped and watched them go.

"I-I want to help," Sonya insisted.

"I know," Tasha assured her.

She put her hand on Sonya's shoulder.