Hope Lies In Dreams

While docked at Starbase 74, Data patches things up with Geordi while Worf and Tasha enjoy a game of Parrises Squares. Everything seems to go according to plan until the Enterprise is hijacked, leaving the crew stranded and Captain Picard and Will Riker alone on the stolen ship.

Data and Tasha get a chance to discuss his feelings on Doctor Soong. Tasha helps Commander Riker come to terms with a loss. And Lore's escape sets into motion a series of events.

----------

Author's Note: You all are literally the greatest community. I *love* reading your thoughts on these characters, your headcanons, and your theories!

Thank you so much for all of your support on this journey.  

I've extended the evacuation time given the size of the Enterprise. I just have a hard time believing that (unless jumping into escape pods) everyone can simply bail in a matter of two or three minutes.

CW: There's some strong language at the very end.

----------

Tasha was at the replicator as it materialised a warm cup of coffee.

It was early, not quite 05:00.

The Enterprise was a few hours out from her arrival at Starbase 74 for a computer refit. The crew would have a short, busy morning as they checked in and completed docking procedures.

Once that was complete, they would have the next forty-eight hours for personal leave as a third-party crew from a Federation planet completed the upgrades.

Tasha had been worried about the leave given the way in which the situation with Lore had concluded.

But now that her and Data were back on good terms, she couldn't imagine a better way to spend the next two days.

Data slipped up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Mmm. Good morning," Tasha said.

"You are up early," Data commented, resting his chin on her shoulder.

Tasha sighed.

"I have to be at the Security Office in an hour," Tasha informed him.

Tasha would need to complete level one sweep before the ship could dock and that would mean all hands on deck.

Starfleet standard docking protocols dictate that such a sweep be completed before arrival. The caveat was that it could not be completed any sooner than three hours out from arrival.

Decades prior, crafty Security officers would complete their sweeps the day or week before. It wasn't a problem until the USS Wichita had picked up a rare energy-based parasite on route to Starbase 11 shortly before arrival.

Ever since that incident, new rules about the mandated sweeps had been rolled out to all vessels.

Three hours was sufficient time to complete a sweep on most ships.

It was certainly doable for a Galaxy-class vessel – but it was a tremendous undertaking.

Data had his own plate full as Second Officer with overseeing all of the various departments that fell under his purview. There were labs to secure, reports to file, and resupply requisitions that needed attention.

Data was hoping to complete his work quickly as he had big plans.

"What are you going to do after we're finished?" Tasha asked.

"Seeing as how you and I are... mending ," Data settled on. "I believe I owe it to Geordi to do the same."

Tasha turned in his arms and leaned back against the replicator.