The Cherry

A/N: Thank you all for your patience and support as this story continues. This will be a short chapter but fear not as there is much more to come!

For those of you disappointed regarding the lack of smut in this story, I apologise.

I do not write smut. Please don't misunderstand that as some moral trepidation against it. When it's well done, it's quite lovely.

We Scots are dead brilliant when it comes to insults. But I guarantee none of you want to suffer through a story about some poke with a right stauner.

I do not wish to ruin a fic with my clumsy attempts at writing it.

Thankfully, with the help of another writer, we've found a solution! Lady_Lore reached out after the last chapter and has graciously offered to write some collaborative accompanying stories to satisfy that thirst.

Be on the lookout for her story "The Complication – Missing Scenes" that can be found on A03 and Fanfiction.net

-----------

"I believe the word 'tart' would be an apt description," Data explained to Geordi.

"And this is the first time?" Geordi asked. "What made you want to try it?"

Data had been painting a still life in his quarters with a replicated bowl of fruit. He wasn't sure what it was, but a strong urge compelled him to bite into one of the cherries in the bowl. To his delight, he could taste the flavour.

Although the sensory receptors in his mouth allowed him to analyse the chemical makeup of food and beverages, he had never previously enjoyed the sensation of tasting flavour like this. From the moment he bit into the cherry he was overwhelmed with ecstasy. He had closed his eyes as he relished in the tart, yet sweet, juicy feel of it on his tongue.

Data had decided it would be best to tell Geordi straightaway. For weeks they had been trying to find what was causing Data's new feelings.

"Curiosity. To be precise, this was the third instance," Data stated.

"Ok, what was the first?" Geordi said as he ran his tricorder over Data's head.

It had been the night before when he'd first experienced his newfound ability. He'd been in Tasha's quarters. She had been reading to him and sipping a glass of synthesised whiskey.

Tasha had tipped her head back to take a drink. She offered the glass to Data, but he declined.

"Suit yourself," she shrugged.

Tasha set the glass on the ledge of her window and leaned in to kiss him.

It took him 0.0024 seconds to realise his sensors were not overloading. Although he could decipher the chemical makeup of the whiskey, there was more – he could taste the peaty, smoky flavour of the drink on her tongue.

He broke the kiss, took the glass, and downed it in one gulp.

He coughed as it burned his throat. But Data didn't care, every moment of the experience felt wonderful.

Tasha sat back blinking in silence as she watched him.

"Everything OK?" she asked.

"Better than OK," he replied with excitement.

He set the empty glass back on the sill and pulled her in for another kiss.

"Data?" Geordi prompted.