One Minute to Midnight

Author's Note: I'm completely blown away by all your comments, questions, and words of support. Thank you!

I apologise for the delay. I wrote and rewrote... and rewrote... and then transferred everything to my writing graveyard and rewrote again... *insert exasperated Picard meme face*

In the end, I wound up reworking the sequence and splitting this across different chapters.

Which means... I lied.

I said there would only be two more chapters in this Enterprise-C arc. But in keeping consistent with myself, I've gone over my intended goal.

Jean-Luc's trauma & the burden of command has always been a subplot of this story (along with Tasha's unusual relationship with the fabric of time).

I intend to release a companion piece entitled The Crease In the Fabric of Time that covers the events of Narendra III, Romulus, and Sela's origins in greater detail.

And what I'm struggling with here is how to condense just enough information for this point in the story without going too far over my outline.

-X-

Please be advised this portion of the story is a dark turn. I want to assure you – this series has a happy ending. But this part is filled with pain and loss.

Content Warning: Strong language, violence, abuse, child abuse, sexual assault, torture, graphic injury, enucleation, pregnancy/childbirth, miscarriage, stillbirth, abortion, self-harm, suicide, character death, murder.

-X-

"You loved her," Picard said in astonishment.

"From afar," Castillo said.

The comment hung in the air as Jean-Luc tried to wrap his head around it.

"Well, now it's out there," Richard said.

"I must confess now that I know, I find myself wishing I'd never asked," Picard acknowledged.

Jean-Luc was struck – not surprised – but struck.

This revelation explained a lot. Picard now had a deeper understanding of why Castillo had been nervous about disclosing details and why Deanna sensed he was withholding information.

Yet this discovery only spurred more questions.

"How did Tasha Yar end up on the Enterprise-C?" Picard asked.

"Are you sure you want to know?" Castillo questioned in response.

Picard's brow furrowed as he eyed Castillo with caution.

"My apologies Captain. I know for you this all must be... well, for me it's already happened," Castillo said, struggling to explain. "We've met before Captain. On your Observation Lounge. This ship. These people. I've been here before but not like this. It's the same and yet all so different."

Castillo glanced around the room.

As Richard had spent most of his time restricted to Sickbay and the Brig, he wasn't entirely certain what the situation was with the Klingon Empire. He had heard bits and pieces – but it was hard to tell.

"The Federation and the Klingon Empire, they're allies now. Is that correct?" Castillo asked.

Picard nodded.

"Yes. The Second Khitomer Accords were signed in 2345. The war ended. A year later, we became formal allies. In fact, the involvement of the Enterprise-C in the defence of Narendra III is often cited as the turning point. The lynchpin that led to peace," Picard said.