Two Roads Diverged

Author's Note: Onto part two...

I want to thank Lady_Lore for the idea of the 'Jolan tru' song.

We know from Redemption that Data was in Starfleet by 2341. That means he (Like Jean-Luc Picard) would have been an active officer serving in Starfleet in 2344 when the Enterprise-C went missing.

Please be advised this portion of the story is a dark turn. I want to assure you – this series has a happy ending. But this part is filled with pain and loss.

Content Warning: Strong language, violence, abuse, child abuse, sexual assault, torture, graphic injury, enucleation, pregnancy/childbirth, miscarriage, stillbirth, abortion, self-harm, suicide, character death, murder.­

-X-­

Romulus | 2348

Richard Castillo caught Tasha Yar's arm and pulled her into one of the alcoves in the corridor.

"Shhh," he said. "It's me."

Tasha immediately relaxed.

"Now?" she asked in a hushed voice.

"It has to be today. Now," Castillo replied.

General Morak was gone along with most of his staff. That mean the compound was undermanned and they could move about freely with less chance of being caught.

In addition, it was the first week of the month which meant General Morak's wife was gone to the capitol city along with the bulk of her staff.

It was the best opportunity they were going to get.

Castillo poked his head out to look left, then right as he checked the corridor to ensure they were alone.

Castillo pulled Tasha out a side entrance. They rushed across the grand courtyard and through the garden of General Morak's estate.

"Down," Castillo ordered.

The pair dipped low and used a hid behind a hedge as two of General Morak's staff passed by. As they waited for the men to pass, Tasha found herself second-guessing her choice.

"Maybe we should go back?" Tasha suggested.

"I made a promise," Castillo replied.

He rose, but Tasha pulled him back down into the safety of their hiding place.

"What if we're caught? He'll kill you," Tasha said, gripped with fear.

Castillo gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"Come. We have to hurry," he said, pulling her along.

They made their way along the hedgerow until they reached the east wing of the compound. Tasha and Castillo hugged the shadow of the tall east tower.

Castillo pressed his finger to Tasha's lips to shush her.

The sound of a small voice carried out from the open window above. It was a little girl, and she was singing.

"Jolan tru I say to you. Jolan tru good day to you," she sang while stacking blocks.

Tasha clapped her hand over her mouth, choking back tears. A small gut-wrenching noise escaped from her throat.

It was the first time she had heard her daughter's voice in a month.

Castillo pulled Tasha close as she cried silently.

"She's happy?" Tasha asked, overcome with a strange mix of emotions.

Her heart ached, longing to be reunited with her child. But Tasha also recognised that her child's new life afforded her far better circumstances.