Interlude in the Neutral Zone

Author's Note: Onion time!

This chapter reveals there are layers upon layers to this conspiracy arc (some which will not fully play out until much later in this series).

This chapter also features one of the first important seeds that will lead to Picard's involvement in the Romulan evacuation (and his steadfast resolve to see it through).

Layers.

This has been such a delight to pen. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed weaving it!

I want to say thank you to Lady_Lore. Her version of Sela has really helped me to refine my own version of Sela and give her some real complexity. (If you haven't read any of her Sela fics – I highly recommend!)

Content Warning: Strong language, violence, child abuse, CSA, sexual assault, injury, death, and big honkin' space guns.

-X-

Things were unusually quiet as the stolen Romulan Harrier-class ship left Federation space to travel across the Neutral Zone.

There was a small team on the Bridge of the ship. The rest of the volunteer crew were crammed into every available space.

There were twelve people strapped into the crew seats in a small compartment at the back of the Bridge.

Judging by the design of the ship, Data surmised this space was used for ground troop deployment as there was a large rear hatch.

It was a cold ride.

One level down, there were another eight members of the crew riding out the journey in the small canteen space.

They put the shelf-style beds and benches in the corridor to use.

And there were six members of the crew stuffed in every other available space they could find (including fitting a storage closet with a flight seat).

The Harrier-class ship wasn't designed to carry this many people.

And if they ran into trouble and had to hide behind the cloak for an extended period of time, they would find out just how far the life support system could stretch.

Three hours into their journey and things were going well.

They had yet to encounter any Romulan ships. In fact, they hadn't even detected any ships in the vicinity.

"Sir, we're approaching the planet," Data advised.

There out the viewscreen Richard could see it.

Tantalus.

The place where sunshine and comfort were always just out of reach.

Tantalus had provided them with refuge and a small window of growing weather. It had never been enough for a full belly.

"Put us in orbit," Riker ordered.

"Aye, sir," Tasha responded.

Over at the Operations station, Data's hands danced across the console. To the casual observer, it may have looked as if Data were merely conducting a routine scan of the surface.

But the crew knew better.

Data wasn't just scanning the surface.

He was simultaneously scanning the surface and the area around the planet. At the same time, Data cross checked the tachyon signatures for any sign of cloaked vessels and compared it to the sensor readings for warp signatures.