Captain, Simple Tailor, Romulan Spy

Auth­or's Note: Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU! My apologies for the delay. I've been writing a lot on the next arc – and it's been hard.

Long Chapter Alert! My compulsive tendencies demand that our next arc start with Chapter 100. Therefore, buckle up – this is a behemoth. ­

-X-

Your support is wonderful, and I relish each opportunity to hear about how a story has touched a reader whether it be making you laugh, cry, or simply enjoy some time with your favourite characters.

Quick on the Type-303 shuttle. This is something I invented for this story because the official "Fighter shuttle" just seemed bland.

303 is NOT named after SG-1's X-302/303/304s. (I LOVE Stargate, but this time it's not an SG reference) It's actually named for the 303rd Tadeusz Kościuszko Warsaw Fighter Squadron of the RAF.

-X-

Data & Tasha are great. And oblivious.

Tasha's pregnancy isn't something they're going to figure out today, tomorrow, or even for some time.

-X-

It has always been my goal to weave this story in with other Trek series in the franchise.

You may recall that in DS9's Broken Link, Garak implies that during his time as gardener at the Cardassian Embassy on Romulus, a number of prominent Romulans died – including a character known as 'Proconsul Merrok.'

In my story he is 'Morak.' And in this retelling, he's still alive.

There are DS9 and VOY tie-ins in this chapter and they will not be the last.

-X-

A scream rippled across the compound.

Dozens of victims squirmed against their restraints – young, old, Romulans that were victims of the last Tal Shiar raid, Klingon prisoners of war, human captives.

It mattered not.

They were all strapped to their cots. And they were all there for one purpose.

Behind a glass observation window one level up was a team of Romulan scientists and military personnel observing the experiment.

"How much longer?" whispered one of the scientists.

He had no stomach for this sort of project.

"Shhh," hissed a second one, concerned they would soon find themselves on the floor and strapped to a cot same as the others for expressing concern.

In the middle of the group stood a tall Romulan with his hands clasped behind his back. He closed his eyes and savoured the sound of the unwilling victims of his experiment as they flailed, crying out in agony.

As Supreme High Commander of the Romulan Fleet, General Morak had a reputation for being composed in the face of unspeakable terror.

But many failed to fully understand just how much General Morak seemed to enjoy it until they witnessed his cruelty first-hand.

General Morak wasn't just composed.

He felt serene.

Beside the General stood his daughter – the youngest Romulan Commander in history and a prime example of the worst kind of nepotism.

Normally she shared her father's amusement in the suffering of others.

At the moment, Commander Sela was focused on the sign in the back of the room below. It was just an ordinary warning sign that indicated the wall behind held a coolant pipe.