Speckle

A/N: Thank you all for your words of affirmation, love, and support as we journey through this story.

Shorter chapter. Conclusion of "The Hunt" including some more backstory into life on Turkana IV. We're calling them 'bandit gangs' FYI.

I'd also like to give you a preview of the roadmap for the next few weeks:

The Edo/JusticeQ, yes Q.The TravellerAnother holodeck adventure!A companion story set in the same universe entitled "The Competition." This will be a T-rated multi-chapter buddy fic. Data and Geordi must enter an intergalactic space race in order to win back a piece of federation technology that was stolen, and they'll need help from the Enterprise crew to pull it off.

Thank you for all your support and patience as this story unfolds.

Cheers!

Charlie

-----------

Stardate 41251.3

It was nearly 14:00 and the heavy rain that the planet was notorious for had returned. By this time, the Enterprise crew had grown accustomed to the weather.

It was humid.

Worf and Tasha had taken Commander Riker and Data on a tour of the area around the camp. As they sloshed along in the mud, even Data was struggling to keep his footing.

"These conditions do not seem ideal for trapping the Byaki," Data said as he took a step and his foot slipped out of his boot.

Standing on one foot he weaved as he put his arms out as his internal spatial recognition programme realigned itself and he was able to balance.

Visibility was poor in the rain. Worf was already predicting another unsuccessful night.

"We will not be able to catch anything in this," he grunted.

"I think you're right, Mr Worf," Riker commented as he took in the surroundings.

They team headed back for the campsite and decided they would use the rainy afternoon to prepare for the following day.

The observation tower had successfully been constructed. It provided them with a significant tactical advantage. Even though Tasha had assigned two security officers to stand watch in the tower, she kept up the patrols that Worf had implemented.

The Byaki had proven elusive and cunning. She wasn't about to take any chances with it.

Presently, Riker and the other senior officers were seated around a table under the open-air command tent. It was a downpour outside, and Data watched with fascination as it rolled off the top and pooled at the edges.

"You look like you've never seen a rainstorm before," Riker said to Data.

"It is certainly not my first rainstorm, sir. Nonetheless, I am fascinated by how precipitation impacts human behaviour. I have observed some humans seem to become melancholy and agitated by such weather while others seem to find comfort in it," Data explained.

He met Tasha's eyes briefly knowing that she found comfort in the smell and sound of rain.

Worf unrolled a paper map on the table. The computers, PADDs, and much of their technology was struggling in the humidity and heat.

"I've analysed the last few attacks and sightings. I believe we can triangulate that the creature is coming from this direction," Worf said as he ran his fingers across the map.