The Secrets We Keep

Author's Note: Thank you all for your ongoing support on this story!

Long chapter alert! I simply could not break this into four. I'm trying to be strict with myself about keeping to the outline in order to preserve the chapter count/plan.

A few notes:

The Conspiracy

You're probably thinking what?! I thought the conspiracy was about brain slugs!

And you would be right.

­Our heroes have no idea what awaits them.

Jack Crusher

Between the various Trek media there are conflicting accounts of the details of Jack Crusher's death – which is why I decided to write my own.

(We don't go too far into the details here, but just know I'm not going with what's presented in the likes of the Stargazer series or the novelisation of Encounter At Farpoint or Reunion.)

Cameos

You will notice some particular names dropped in this chapter (hint hint).

These choices are intentional, and we will see a story arc focused on the team at G'kantal come out later in The Course We Set. It may seem like an odd team and I'm taking some liberties with their backstories.

But what can I say? I adore misfits.

-X-

"Mmmm," Tasha said as she nuzzled against Data.

He pulled the sheet up over to cover the both of them.

"I should get up," Tasha said.

Data rolled them together so that she was pinned beneath him.

"Not yet," Data said.

"Data, if I don't get out of bed then I won't be able to put in the request for our shore leave," Tasha reminded him.

She wanted to catch Captain Picard before it was too late in the day. It was always best to catch the Captain early.

Tasha giggled as Data nibbled her shoulder.

"Not yet," Data repeated. "In any case, I do not believe you want to leave. Not when you are so warm under these covers."

"I don't want to get up," Tasha explained.

Data stopped.

"If it were up to me, I would keep you like this always," Data said before he dove back in.

Tasha made a small noise of protest, clutching the bottom of her shirt as Data's hand made its way up under the hem.

"Don't start that or we'll be here all day," Tasha said.

"Mmmm, I do not have a problem with that," Data countered.

He pressed his lips against the spot just below her ear.

"I will bring you breakfast in bed," Data offered.

"Shall I brush my teeth in here too?" Tasha teased.

"If it bothers you I can kiss the rest of your body," Data said.

As much as she longed to stay in bed, Tasha knew it was time to get up. She didn't want anything spoiling their plans – not now that they had finally made the decision to take that leap together.

"Data, you do remember I'm asking for shore leave so we can get married, right?" Tasha said.

Data stopped.