Train Ride

Author's Note: Happy holidays Trek fam! I sincerely cannae begin to thank you enough for all your support on this series. You all are simply the most wonderful readers.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you. <3

I must apologise – I promised a holiday daily drop and then life and a wretched migraine got in the way. So, this week is going to feature a number of drops (along with some updates to And Then There Was Fun and The Classified Incident). Enjoy and thank you for your patience!

As always, if you like to chat about writing or the fandom join me on Trek Twitter @TheTartanTart.

-----------

It was hours before sunup when the storm finally abated.

Data had been carefully monitoring the situation and waiting for the rain to stop.

"Tasha?" he said quietly.

He didn't want to wake the children quite yet.

"Tasha?" he repeated slightly louder.

She stirred, adjusting her back for the first time in hours and realising just how sore she would be from sitting against the rocks.

"Hmmm?" she replied in a hazy voice.

"I believe the storm has passed," Data informed her.

Tasha breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness," she said. "Not a moment too soon."

Carefully, she lifted Georgie's head off her leg and tried to wiggle her foot.

"I can't feel my leg," she explained. "Or my arse for that matter."

She hissed as the blood began to return to her limb accompanied by the unwelcome tingling sensation.

Data was alarmed.

"Are you alright?" he asked in an urgent whisper.

Tasha chuckled.

"It just fell asleep," Tasha clarified.

She grimaced as she rubbed her leg, trying to suppress the icky, stinging as the blood hit her toes.

"Accessing," Data whispered as he tapped into his research on human idioms.

Data scowled as he grasped the meaning of the phrase. Tasha had sounded completely relaxed about the situation, as if it were nothing more than a minor inconvenience. However, the more Data learned about Obdormition and Paraesthesia, the more disturbed he was by the concept.

The thought of losing feeling in a limb without noticing followed by subsequent pain was a disconcerting thought. For Data, the closest thing he could compare it to was when one his limbs was detached – although he did not experience pain in such instances.

"I suppose, we might as well get them up and get moving," Tasha suggested.

Data gently shook Henry and Bertie.

"It is time to wake up," he said.

"It's still dark," Henry protested as he wiped the sleep from his eyes.

The boys grumbled and growled about having to get up.

"It's cold," Lucy said as she sat up and looked around.

Frankie shivered and pulled her jacket tight around herself.

"It's going to be alright," Tasha said.

Tasha tried to rouse wee Georgie, but he was having none of it. There was no way she could carry him back to the village.