Chapter One - Lyra Black

Word Count: 1,974 words. 

Warnings: None.

"Harry is to return to Hogwarts this year, my lord." a scratching voice spoke, his body hunched over as he did. With his head bowed, the man moved closer to the chair, standing before his master.

"It is not time yet,  Wormtail. He is not strong enough," a smaller noise sounded, its voice softer and quieter than the other.

"But, my Lord, it has been 12 years," another man in the room spoke, taller than the rest, towering over the man with the scratching voice as he approached a chair.

The room was dark. Too dark. It was a shock that any of them were visible to the other. The curtains had been drawn and secured tightly. All doors to the room were shut, not leaving any chance for light to peak through.

"He is not ready!" the voice that had previously been soft and calm spat, its voice still weak, but held venom on their tongue.

It seemed to silence the room. They were scared to move. Terrified to even flinch. The man was weak, incredibly weak. There was no chance of him being able to do any damage to the men around him, and yet the sound of his voice would freeze the strongest man to his spot.

"What of the girl? Of his girl?" the fourth, and final figure in the room spoke, a deeper voice.

"All in due time," they replied, their figures slowly becoming darker until it faded away. "All in due time..."

1st September 1993

Lyra Marlene Black

"Time to get up Black, you have school," a voice spoke from behind my door, and I groaned when they opened it, letting in the unwanted light.

"Five more minutes Moony.=," I moaned. He responded by flicking the switch on the left-hand side of the door, the bulb blaring to life above me.

Not prepared for the sudden change of light, I grabbed the pillow from underneath my head and shoved it on top of my face, groaning again.

"All you ever do is moan Lyra, you cannot be late for the train, and I cannot be late for my first day." He spoke again and I sighed heavily.

Peaking my head out from behind the pillow, I squinted my eyes, watching the towering figure in the doorway. "Shit," I cursed, "is that today?" I asked.

"Language Lyra," he scolded softly, "and yes, it is. Now get up, breakfast is at the table ready for you." He explained, turning away from me and walking out the door.

Sighing, I threw the pillow back over my head and rest back against the mattress. The 1st of September. It was time to go back to Hogwarts. Bound to be another year of useless Divination, boring Charms and excruciating Potions, I wanted to do anything but return. Potions with Snivellus was not on the top of my list.

"Lyra, get up, I know you're still in bed!" Moony's voice echoed up the stairs. I laughed shortly, finding it funny how well he knew me. 13 years ought to cover the get-to-know Lyra class.

I threw the covers back, wincing slightly as the cold air hit my bare legs. Ignoring it, I got up as quickly as possible from the mattress as to stop myself from lying back down. It had happened on more than one occasion, usually resulting in Moony having to drag me out of it. Literally. He would grab onto my ankles and pull me off the end of the bed until I ended up on the cold floor and had nothing to do other than to get up. It wasn't the safest method, but it was effective.