Chapter Two - The Hogwarts Express

Word Count: 1,880.

Warnings: None.

"We're going to be late," Moony spoke quickly, his feet rushing along the train station tiles.

"We'll be fine Moony, the train's not going to leave without their star DADA professor," I replied, dragging my case behind me as I tried to keep up with him.

"It's only my first day Lyra," he muttered. Rolling my eyes, I turned to the side slightly, letting someone passed.

"And you are going to be their star teacher in your first hour on the job." Lupin stopped at my remark, the two feet that I owned tripping over themselves as I brought myself to a halt. I soon realized that it wasn't my words that had stopped him.

Moving my head to the side, I found that his eyes were locked on something ahead of us. I followed his gaze and sighed. The brick wall between Platforms 9 and 10 looked solid to anyone passing by, but those few who's tickets read Platform 9 ¾ knew that it wasn't as solid as it seemed. A kid, first year by the looks of their overflowing trolley, was standing beside his mother, who was nervously messing with his clothes.

"First years," I stated, getting a hum in response.

Lupin hadn't stepped through the entrance to Platform 9 ¾ since his final year at Hogwarts. He had barely been in the station itself, only to drop me off and pick me up from the train. Every time I was to return, he would bring me to the entrance, wait for me to go through, and leave once he knew I was safe.

I could see his gaze settle on the bricks as the first year and his mother ran through, his face stern. Letting go of my suitcase for a moment, I walked beside him, placing a hand on his arm.

"You don't have to ride the train," I paused, looking up to his face that was still turned away. He gulped. "We could ask the Weasley's if you could borrow their car, make your own way to Hogwarts." I suggested, to which he firmly shook his head.

"No, Padsy, I'm going to go through with you this year," he replied assertively, turning his gaze back to mine.

"If you say so." I turned away grabbing the handles of my case and quickly scurrying to the solid-looking bricks. He followed.

"Now come on," I reached out and took his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze, "don't want to be late."

Quickly rushing forward, we pushed through the wall, emerging in one piece on the other side. The train made two short blasts, signifying the train was getting ready to leave.

"Alright, we need to get on now if you want to ride the train." I spoke quickly, releasing Lupin's hand and rushing forward towards the still open door.

Struggling to pull the case up onto the higher platform of the transport, I called out to Moony. He didn't answer. Calling out again, I rose my head to find that he hadn't moved from our previous position in front of the wall. His head turned to either side, taking in our surroundings. His lips parted as his eyes watched the Hogwart's students.

"It can't have changed that much Moony." I shouted over the noise of bustling parents. This seemed to get his attention.

"That's the thing." He shouted back, turning his head to face me, a sad smile on his lips, "it hasn't changed at all."

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

"Are you sure you don't want to sit in our compartment? We can make room." I asked Lupin, him following behind me as we made our way through the train.