Chapter Twenty - Christmas at Hogwarts

Word Count: 3,411. 

Warnings: None. 

Christmas morning felt like any other day of the week. Pansy and the rest of our dormmates had left the castle for the holidays. As did Draco, Blaise and Theo. This left me at Hogwarts with Mattheo.

Things had been odd since he had revealed his Dark Mark to me. In the moment, I hadn't really thought about what it meant, but now that it had been a week since being taught how to dance, my mind hadn't stopped thinking about it.

Mattheo had become a Death Eater over the Summer. Although this was an answer to why he had been ignoring me and pushing me away and this showed that he did care for me, what else did this mean?

BCJ,

Thank you for that hint regarding Mattheo Riddle. I think you only confirmed a suspicion I had about the man. So I thank you for that.

But I'm afraid this is the last time I will be writing to you, and I would appreciate if you stopped too. I don't need another Death Eater on my speed dial. The one I have is enough.

Sincerely,

None of your business.

Folding the letter, I placed it in the beak of my owl, letting the animal fly off into the sky. I settled back into the chair by my desk.

My mind was blank. Although there were a handful things that should be worrying me, I couldn't think straight at all. It was Christmas Day, but it certainly didn't feel like it.

A peck at the window caught my attention, my head shooting to find an owl at the window. It wasn't my owl, nor was it Barty Crouch Jr's. It was an owl from Grimmauld Place.

Rushing to the window, I took the letter from the bird, quickly tearing the seal open and reading it.

Merry Christmas Lyra,

We are missing you something terrible this Christmas and would like nothing more than to apparate over to you and spend the day as a family.

As we haven't had the time to go out of the Manor in the past couple weeks, we couldn't get out to buy you a Christmas present so enclosed with this letter is a small amount of money so that you can buy yourself something from us. It's hard to tell what you like these days.

I know this isn't the Christmas you expected or wanted, but just know that next year will be different. We love you.

Moony and Dad.

My eyes widened at the coins that were hidden within the letter. "A small amount?" I muttered. There was 30 galleons there. Moony would never give me that much money.

I looked back to the letter, finding that there was another note on the back of the piece of parchment.

Lyra, this is your father. Your uncle decided that you only needed 5 galleons for Christmas but I disagreed and threw some extra in there.

Love, Dad.

I laughed lightly, looking back to the coins. "What am I to do with you?"

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

The streets of Hogsmeade were empty besides the occasional shopper. The entire village was decked out in Christmas decorations, floating candles above the stores and walking snowmen in the street.

The ground was covered in snow, and I trudged my way through it towards The Three Broomsticks. I had planned to journey through the village to Honeydukes but it was too cold to make it to the shop in one journey. I needed a pitstop.