Chapter Twenty-Three - Sirius Black

Word Count: 2,621

Warnings: None

"Lyra," he spoke, a nervousness in his voice.

My breath shook, heart quickening at the sound of his voice. The man was disheveled, as he had seemed to be in The Three Broomsticks. The unique outfit worn by those in Azkaban blended into his pale skin and his black hair was tight against his neck.

He took a step forward, moving towards me. I moved away from him, keeping the same distance between us. He sighed at my actions.

"I'm not going to hurt you Lyra," he answered, almost pleadingly.

I shook my head, "I don't know that." I watched him smile softly at the sound of my voice.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he repeated, stronger this time. He moved forward, hands outstretched in a surrendering manner.

"Well it was good meeting you, but I really must be returning to the Quidditch match. Potter with either need my congratulations or my sympathies." I turned around quickly, trudging my way through the forest. I wasn't sure which way the stadium was.

I heard Black laugh warmly. "You're just like me, you know? Making sure Potter is okay. James was like a brother to me, and I've got the feeling that the two of you are the same." I stopped walking, turning my body to face him.

"You're like me in so many ways. Your eyes." Sirius Black continued, pointing towards me softly. "They're like looking in a mirror." He took a breath. "You know Moony told me that you have a problem with teachers and yet you're the smartest girl in your year. He told me how you use my little nickname for Severus and then he rambled on about-"

"What is the point of this information?" I cut in. "Why are you telling me things I already know?"

"Because I'm trying to show you how similar we are."

"We are nothing alike." I spat. "And if we were, what are you trying to prove? That we have the same genes?"

"I'm hoping it will make you understand."

"Understand what?"

"Why I left." I didn't answer.

I shook my head, scoffing, turning away from him. "You know what? There's no point. You're just as fucking cryptic as Moony."

"I knew he wasn't right." I watched him smile. "He said that you understood. That you forgave me for what I did, but I knew it wouldn't be that easy. Not if you were anything like your mother."

I shook my head. "I get it, but that doesn't mean I understand it. And it certainly doesn't mean I forgive you."

He decided to move closer to me, slowly walking across the grass. I didn't move away this time. "Well, we have time." He whispered. "I'm not going away again. I'm not leaving you again. So, hit me, punch me, scream at me, call me names, curse me, I don't care. I'm not abandoning you again. Never again."

I took a deep breath, feeling my eyes begin to sting and my heart clench. He was giving me an opportunity to take whatever anger I had left out on him. I could say anything to him. Hit him as hard as I wanted. But searching my thoughts, I found that there was no anger there.

"Why did you leave me with Moony?" I asked suddenly, Black's face turned surprised at how calm I was. "Why did you go after the rat, whoever he was? Why did you leave me?"

He took a deep breath. "You sound just like your mother. Not angry, just disappointed. I can hear the pain in your voice and it's killing me."

"Then answer the fucking question." He laughed, shaking his head.