Chapter Twenty - Six - Night Travels

Word Count: 3,480. 

Warnings: None. 

I woke up to someone gently shaking my shoulders. The light of the day peaked through my eyelids and I groaned in annoyance.

"Leave me alone," I moaned. "Five more minutes."

"You've already missed breakfast Lyra," someone whispered gently in my ear. It was Theo.

"I don't need breakfast."

"Yes. You do. Now we need to get to class and then I'll get you some food afterwards so you don't keel over on me."

I opened one eye to find the boy staring down at me. "You'll buy me breakfast from Hogsmeade?"

He sighed, nodding. "I'll buy you breakfast from Hogsmeade," he confirmed. "But only if you get up right now."

I was suddenly on my feet, smoothing myself down and rushing for my dorm room. It wasn't long before we were making our way towards the DADA classroom.

"What were you doing on the couch?" Theo asked me.

I shook my head, attempting remember what I was doing last night that I had ended up on the couch. My hand fiddled with my necklace. "I don't know. I think I might have just fallen asleep reading."

He nodded. "You must have been tired."

I replied with a hum, deep in thought. Why couldn't I remember what I was doing? I was with everyone in the Common Room and then Nika came in... It hit me.

"Nika snuck into mine and Pansy's dorm room," I told him. "I didn't want to walk in on that."

"That makes sense." Theo laughed lightly. "So, she was at the door?"

I nodded. "I didn't expect her."

"Were you expecting Kenneth?" he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I thought he might have been worried."

"He should have been. I was having heart palpitations."

"You're my cousin. He's my –" I cut myself off. "I don't know what he is."

"I don't know about him Lyra. I don't like him. You're different since you met the guy. More... muddled. Happy but muddled."

"Muddled is one word for it."

"Alright children! In the door! Class had started!" Moody screamed down the hall.

I took one look at Theo before we began sprinting down the corridor, rushing into the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. Muddled was definitely how I was feeling lately.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

"Ms. Black, if I could speak to you for a moment?" Professor Moody asked.

Class had finished and upon beginning to file out of the room, Moody had called me up to his desk. I slowly approached as he waited for all of the students to exit before speaking.

"I need to talk to you," he told me.

I nodded. "Of course Professor."

He took a few pages of parchment from his desk and placed it down in front of me. I read the title. The Unforgivable Curses.

"Interesting choice," he commented. From the way he was speaking, I could only assume that it was one of my essays.

"It's an uncommon topic choice. I thought that you would appreciate it," I lied.