Chapter Twenty-Eight - Pensieve

Word Count: 2,967. 

Warnings: None. 

Mattheo and I were in the school library the next evening after classes. We had hidden ourselves in between two of the aisles and were quietly discussing the events of last night.

"Well, at least we learned something," he told me.

"Yeah, that Crouch molested and possible raped my mother. That was wonderful information," I replied. "And extremely helpful." My tone was sarcastic.

"I was going to say that we learned he was a madman like he son, but that works too."

I sighed, leaning back against the shelf, my head hit the wood softly. "We don't have anything to go on."

"Well we can assume that it was his son that attacked the Enforcer. It couldn't have been anyone else."

"Assuming will get us nowhere. We need concrete proof."

Mattheo shook his head, his throat contracting as he seemed to struggle for words.

"We know he's the spy. That's something."

I nodded. "What do we do now? I can already feel my mind slipping. I'll forget half of this shit in the next hour."

He shook his head. "I won't let you forget. Okay?"

"How did you do that last night?" I asked him, changing the subject.

He sucked in a breath. "You were having a breakdown. I needed to you to stop breathing so that your body could reset. It's how people calm down after panic attacks."

"So you kissed me?"

"It stopped you breathing for moment which gave your brain time to push out that bitch."

"And kissing me was the only thing you could think of that would stop me breathing?"

"At that moment. Yes." Mattheo moved closer to me, but I found myself turning away, towards the shelf.

I let out a deep breath. Mattheo sighed at my movements, and I heard him move away. Scanning my eyes over the titles of the book in front of me. I looked for anything that would help us but after a while, all they were was a jumble of letters.

"What are you doing now?" Riddle asked.

"When in doubt, turn to the books."

"What?" he asked.

"Something Moony always said. When in doubt, there's always an answer in some book, somewhere."

"Lyra!" There was a shout from the doorway of the library. Harry came running through.

I walked out to meet him. "Potter?" I asked.

He was sweating. "I need you to come with me."

"Why?"

"Please."

Turning to Mattheo for a moment, I gave him a quick glance before nodding to the Gryffindor. "Let's go."

He made for the door. I followed but was pulled back by Riddle who was looking at me worriedly. "Be careful with whatever dangerous shit you're about to get yourself into," he told me.

I nodded. "I'm always careful. Stay here, okay? Don't leave the library."

"I won't move until you tell me to."

I rushed from the library, sprinting down the corridor after Harry. What the hell was this kid getting me into?

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ