Chapter Eighteen - Death Eaters

Word Count: 3,565. 

Warnings: None.

I slept that night. I slept well that night. It could have had something to do with how tired I was before my head hit the pillow or it may have had something to do with who I slept beside.

Mattheo's touch always seemed to calm me. Having his arms around me and his chest rising and falling softly under my head was one of the biggest comforts I had felt in a long time. I didn't know how long I had been staring at him. Seconds. Minutes. Hours. I couldn't tell, but quite honestly, I didn't care. His hair fell across his face, but it didn't cover the cuts and scars that littered his skin. New and old.

I traced my eyes along each of the little white lines. The ones that were almost completely healed and were but small dimples in his skin. Small, but not invisible.

"How long are you going to watch me in my sleep?" Riddle mumbled, smiling with his eyes still closed.

I blushed. "I wasn't staring."

His brown eyes opened, meeting mine with a tired look. "I'm a light sleeper. Remember?"

"I forgot."

Riddle brought his hand up to my face, rubbing a thumb across my cheek. I smiled.

"What time is it?" he asked me, hand trailing down my arm and settling on my waist.

"I couldn't care less," I replied, moving closer to the boy resting the palm of my hands against his chest.

"We have to get to the Death Eater gathering," he told me.

"Didn't we do that yesterday?" I asked, resting my head against his chest and closing my eyes, listening to the slow thump of his beating heart.

"That was an elite meeting. Where we discuss plans for our rise to power."

My heart clenched at the way he said 'we'. "So we're the people your father trusts the most?"

"Better than the rest at least," he muttered, taking a deep breath and holding me tight against him.

Before I could speak again, the door of Mattheo's room opened, Narcissa Malfoy walking through with two piles of clothes in her hands.

The two of us froze, eyes wide as we looked at the woman. She shook her head with a raised brow.

"I was right not to let your mother come in here," my aunt spoke, placing the clothes onto the end of the bed. "She would have utter heart failure if she saw that," Narcissa paused, muttering her next words quietly. "Not that I would complain."

"Morning Narcissa," I greeted her, pushing myself up onto my elbows. Mattheo looked nervous beside me.

"The Dark Lord wants the two of you wearing these for the first half of today's events," she told us. "So I would suggest getting out of bed within the next twenty minutes."

She made for the door, shaking her head at the two of us.

"Thanks Cissy," I told her as her hand turned to doorknob.

She turned to the boy beside me. "Hurt her," she started, "and son of the Dark Lord or not, I will kill you." She left the room.

Laughing lightly, I rose from the bed, approaching the clothed that my aunt had laid out for us. In one, a black suit that I could only assume was for Riddle and in the other, a black blouse with a v-neckline, a pair of blue jeans and to go with it, there was a set of black heels.

"Was your aunt okay with you being in here?" Riddle asked, approaching my back. "I couldn't tell."

"What are we? Thirty?" I questioned the clothes, holding up the black blouse.