Chapter Thirty - Dumbledore's Escape

Word Count: 5,496.

Warnings: None.

The library was quiet the next evening when Riddle and I found ourselves studying in it. I was studying, yes, but Mattheo seemed only interesting in asking questions.

"So you remember nothing about what happened yesterday?" he asked me, arms leaning on open books as he did.

I shook my head, leaning it on my hand as I tried to read the page in front of me. "I remember Trelawney," I told him. "Then I ran after Dumbledore. Next thing I knew that bitch was talking my ear off, and I was in front of the Room of Requirement."

"And then?" he asked. "Lyra, you were gone the entire day."

I look around me nervously, letting a group of Ravenclaw's pass by us. I turned back to Riddle. "I was standing outside of Potter's door. Wand raised."

"To kill?" he asked.

"What else would I have my wand raised for?" I asked sternly.

He shook his head, leaning back into his chair, tapping his finger against the side of the table. "Okay, the voice in your head wanted you to kill Harry, that we know," he commented.

Looking up from my book, I straightened my back. "Can we stop talking about this? I have study for the OWL's to do which I am massively behind on, so if you wouldn't mind."

Riddle leaned forward, taking the book from underneath me and closing it firmly.

"Merlin, give me strength," I whispered before looking up to him. "What?"

"You can't just forget about this Lyra. This voice in your head seemed to have taken control of you."

"We do not know –"

"Well, what else could it be? Exhaustion, stress? Nothing so simple would affect you in this way."

"There are bigger things to worry about," I told him, standing from my chair and taking up the book I had previously been reading, I made my way over to the Herbology shelf to return it. Mattheo followed.

"Like what?" he asked, leaning against the end of the row as I searched through the surrounding book, looking for my next read.

"I don't know," I told him sarcastically, pulling a large volume out to read the title. "Maybe your father trying to destroy the world."

I put the book back, running my hand down the spines as we retreated further into the alcove.

"Well maybe this has something to do with that," he tried.

I shook my head. "I was having blackouts before meeting your father if that is what you were thinking," I told him sternly, taking another book from the row and opening its first page to read it quickly.

"Yes, you've had these pains and blackouts before, but it's only gotten worse since then and since you put this goddamn thing back on."

He reached for the necklace around my throat, and I found myself dropping the book I was holding to grasp it tightly. Protectively.

He only sighed. "This isn't good Lyra."

I picked the book up from the ground quickly. "None of this is good Riddle but this blackout business is the least of our problems."

I tried to move past him, but Mattheo only placed his hand against the opposite bookshelf, blocking my path back out of the aisle.

"These blackouts and headaches you're getting are my biggest worry Lyra. You may not care about them, but I do. I care about your wellbeing and this not good."