Chapter Nineteen - Potter

Word Count: 2,391

Warnings: None

By the time the next Quidditch match rolled around, I hadn't spoken a word to Mattheo. It wasn't a hard thing to do considering. Riddle was never one to get involved in conversations, and that hadn't changed. Everything had gone downhill so quickly, and the majority of it was my fault.

Upon being asked about the Wolfsbane position I had made; I had gotten too defensive. If I told him the truth, I would have to tell him about Lupin and then what would he do? If any of the parents found out about Moony, he'd lose his job. Would he tell them?

For the past few days, I had been priding myself in the fact that I hadn't lied to him, but by believing that, I had been lying to myself. I hadn't lied when I told him that Theo didn't even know. I hadn't lied when it came to anything about the Wolfsbane. I had lied about what happened at the Lake. It did mean something. Something that scared me.

"Maybe it's best if he believes it was nothing," Nika offered, wrapping her hands around my arm as she leaned into me. "You're too young to need to care about that shit, and even if you did, Mattheo Riddle would not be my first choice for you."

"And why's that?" I asked as we made our way down the hill, the Quidditch stadium coming into view.

"He may be nice now, but you can't ignore who he is. If his father returns, which I believe he will, who's side do you think he's going to take?"

I swallowed, placing my hand over hers. "Always the pessimist Lupa." I commented. There was a small silence.

"Come on!" Nika moaned, pulling at my arm. "Let's go to this fucking Quidditch match, go to the after party, and get super drunk."

I giggled. "No thank you. No drink for me."

"You're old enough now. Third Year is the year."

"So, I'm old enough to drink, but not to be with someone?"

"You can be with a girl," she corrected, "just not a boy. They suck. But especially not Riddle. He's trouble."

I stopped walking, Nika continuing down the hill slightly before noticing and turning around to look at me. I fiddled with the ring on my finger, twirling it around in circles against my skin.

"I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. Holed up in my room." I apologized. "I-"

"There's no need to apologize. Everything is forgiven. Now get your ass over here, you little sap." Lupa pointed to the ground beside her.

I scurried after her, and arms interlocking, we made our way to the Quidditch Stadium. Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw. It was going to be an interesting one.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

At a quarter to eleven, I watched the Gryffindor team enter the changing rooms. I, Lupa, Draco, Theo, Blaise and Pansy were all sat on the Gryffindor side of the stands. Our Slytherin colours stood out against the red of the lions.

The weather couldn't have been more different from the match against Hufflepuff. It was a clear, cool day, with a very light breeze; there would be no visibility problems for the team this time. There would be no falling of his broom at this match.

Draco seemed a little too excited to be at the match. When I had asked them to come, there were protests from all of the Slytherins other than Malfoy. And Riddle of course, but he seemed to be avoiding me just as much as I was him. He wasn't here at all.