Chapter Twenty - Moony

Word Count: 2,631.

Warnings: None.

"My uncle's a werewolf!" I shouted, silencing the boy in front of me.

He shut his mouth, falling back onto his heels. The both of us leaning heavily against the metal railings of the tower.

"That's why I was making Wolfsbane. My uncle needs it during his full moons." I explained.

Looking into the sky, I watched the full moon dance across the sky. The full moon. I straightened. "Which is tonight."

A howl cut through the air, it's screech piercing through the wind and rain.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

"Where's Riddle?" Pansy asked, picking her black piece up from the board and moving it forward three spaces.

"How would I know?" Blaise replied. "You moved to the wrong spot."

Pansy looked away from him, turning her gaze to her piece, to the action card and then back again. "No, I didn't."

"Pansy. It said move two spaces. You moved three." Blaise was speaking calmly, laying himself down on the rug. He looked up at the ceiling.

Classes had been cancelled due to a turning in the weather. Yesterday was calm and clear, the perfect condition for the Quidditch match that had occurred, but it seemed that the rain hadn't stopped last night, continuing through to the morning. It was the evening after the match and the sky still hadn't closed.

The idea of homework not even coming to the minds of the Slytherins around me, they decided to play a game of Wizard's Chess. Their version of Wizard's Chess.

I, being a practical person, took the day to catch up on all of my assignments. This seven-page potion's essay wasn't going to write itself.

"I don't see why you have to write an essay and we don't." Theo spoke up, reaching over me to grab a piece of chocolate. I slapped his hands, grabbing the bag of sweets in my hand.

"It's punishment for being on the lake past curfew." I lied, readjusting the papers on my lap.

Theo was sat into the corner of the couch, lying horizontally across the piece of furniture. I sat with my back pressed against the arm of the chair, my legs resting over his.

"That's overkill."

He wasn't wrong. A seven-page essay was overkill as a punishment, but it was simply the only believable lie I could come up with on the spot.

The truth was that I was writing the application essay to that advanced potion class Snape had talked about. I was tasked with breaking down the composition of a plant-based potion. I went with Wolfsbane, already knowing everything about the plant. I still wasn't sure whether I wanted to submit it or not, but there was no harm in simply writing the essay.

"Where is Riddle actually?" Theo spoke up.

"I think he went up to the Astronomy Tower." Draco spoke up, mumbling. He was sat in the chair opposite us, slouched and pressed up against the corner. Something was bothering him.

"Maybe someone should go check on him." Pansy fretted, biting her lip.

A flash of lightning burst past the highest window, thunder rumbling through the air.

"I think he'll be fine." Blaise answered, gulping.

I dropped my quill, standing from my chair. Theo sat up with me but didn't leave the seat. "Where are you going?" he asked.