Chapter Sixteen - Family

Word Count: 2,792. 

Warnings: None. 

"Some dark witch's and wizard's magic may turn a black colour when paired with certain spells. The Killing Curse is one of these rare -"

The door of the dorm swung open, Nika quickly making her way towards me. She wasn't as energized in her entrance as she usually was, but the Gryffindor was still able to interrupt my readings

"Am I ever going to get to finish a sentence?" I muttered to myself. Quickly closing the book and covering the title with my arm. I turned to her with a smile.

"Come downstairs," she told me softly. If it was in a different tone, I could have said that it was an order rather than a request.

"I have stuff to do." I gestured to the pile of books that had gathered on the sheets of my bed.

"Just for a minute. Please?" She didn't move from the door.

"You never say please. Why are you saying please?" I asked her, rising from the bed as she had asked. "Is this a prank?" I turned the cover of the book over, making sure that no one could read it without trying to. She just smiled as I made for the door.

"What are you doing in the Slytherin Common Room anyway? Did the Sorting Hat finally catch up on its mistake?" I exited the room, heading for the stairs.

"The Sorting Hat is still sticking by its decision. We just decided that I was the best person to get you downstairs."

"Why? Because you're good at convincing me of things?"

"Because I'm prepared to use brute force if necessary."

I laughed at her response, moving down the stairs slowly.

When I reached the bottom, there was only one other person in the Common Room. He turned around, a nervous smile on his scar-riddled face.

"Moony?" I asked.

He nodded, "Yeah."

Rushing forward, I wrapped my arms around his torso, grasping them tightly across his back. Lupin returned the hug, holding me against him. We swayed from side to side as I giggled lightly in his arms.

"Hey Padsy," he whispered, leaning down to kiss the top of my head.

I pushed away from him, hitting his chest lightly. "Where the fuck have you been?" I asked him.

"Watch your language Lyra." Lupin pointed a finger at me. I simply tilted my head at his response.

"Where have you been? I had to spend the entire summer with the Malfoys. Draco, I can deal with, Narcissa, I adore, but I was one word away from wringing Lucius' neck."

Moony let out a chuckle. "So like your father," he commented.

I moved closer. "How is he? I got his letter but it was incredibly cryptic. Are the Ministry close? Is there anything I can do to help?"

"You can ask him yourself," my uncle replied.

"He's not in Hogwarts, is he?" I looked around quickly. "Because that's stupid and he needs to get the fuck out before he gets caught. Crouch is in the castle for the Tri-Wizard –"

"Lyra," Lupin placed his hands on my shoulders. "First of all, language."

"Sorry."

"Second of all, he's not in the castle. Do you think I'd let him do something that stupid?"

I let out a sigh. "Good, because I swear to Merlin –"

My words were cut off by a gust of wind, my feet lifting off the ground for a moment only to be set back down within seconds. The world around me faded into smoke.