Chapter Twenty-Eight - Monster

Word Count: 2,577.

Warnings: None. 

The sky was becoming darker as I rushed through the trees. My sense of direction was lost as I followed the rustling of Pettigrew in front of me.

Reaching an opening in the trees, I stopped for a moment, scanning my surroundings. There in the middle of the clearing was Pettigrew, laughing to himself quietly.

"Is something funny Peter?" I asked. His head shot around, fear flooding into his face.

He tried to scurry away, heading deeper into the forest. Taking my wand out, I cast a spell, hitting the ground beside him. The man jumped, turning to face me. The lid began to loosen.

"You aren't going anywhere." I told him, pointing my wand towards his chest. His face twitched in fear.

"L-Lyra –" he started.

"You ruined my life, you know that?" I moved closer to him.

"Lyra."

"You sent my father to Azkaban for something he didn't do. You led everyone to believe that you were dead, that you were some, martyr!"

He watched his surrounding again, clearly trying to calculate a way out. I wasn't going to give him one.

"You killed Harry's parents. You're friends."

"I-I didn't –"

"You did! You may not have personally shot the final bullet, but you killed them."

Wormtail shook his head firmly. "No."

"Do you know what people call me in Hogwarts?" I asked him. "They call me the daughter of Sirius Black. The daughter of a murderer. Everyone's scared of me. They think I'm like him, but here's the thing.

"I can't be a murderer's daughter, if he was never one in the first place." The glass jar started to crack.

Peter looked at me sadly. "I'm sorry. I d-didn't have a choice."

"We always have a choice!" I spat. "You just chose the easy way out."

"Lyra, you won't hurt me, will you?" he asked.

I laughed. "I'm not Harry, Pettigrew. He's a Gryffindor. Brave, Courageous, but he's also kind and he doesn't like seeing people hurt, but me." I made my way closer to the small man, now paces from him.

"I'm not a Gryffindor. I'm a Slytherin. I'm a Black. And you ruined my life. You ruined my father's life. You ruined my uncle's life. You ruined Harry's life. That's too much for me to let go." Peter looked away.

"Look at me." I told him. He didn't comply.

"Look at me!" I spoke sterner. He flinched but didn't listen.

"LOOK AT ME!" I screamed now, the top of the jar coming off. The trees shook around us and Wormtail shot his head to look at me, his face terrified. Wind rose around us as I pushed the wand closer to him. Sparks of green left my wand as I felt the energy encompass me.

"I'm not nice to people who hurt me." I muttered, pressing the wand against his throat. "You don't deserve Azkaban, that's too much like mercy since you're already mad as a hatter. You deserve what any creature does for hurting a human. Death." My wand pressed harder against him.

There was a sudden burst of light, my attention leaving Wormtail for a moment. To my left, white light emitted from the air, floating black figures being projected backwards. Someone was casting a Patronus. The energy I was holding dissipated, and I shut my eyes firmly, pushing the lid back onto the jar and covering the crack. I was panting heavily.