Chapter One - Normality

Word Count: 2,861.

Warnings: None.

"The dark is too strong. There's no way to defeat it," Sirius spoke solemnly. He turned to Lupin.

"All hope is not lost. The light may prevail," he replied.

I watched the two of them carefully. Their gazes turned from each other and back to the task at hand, Sirius resting a finger against his chin and Remus placing his on his hips.

"Merlin guys, it's a fucking paint color." I caught their attention.

The pair of them had been staring at the wall of my room for the past twenty minutes. We had painted the walls a dark grey color and my father claimed that it may be a little dark. Hence, the overdramatic conversation.

"It's a wall color. I like it. It stays," I told them, moving to stand in between the two.

My father sighed. "Are you sure it isn't too dark?"

"It's a blend between black and white. Not too bright. Not too dark. It's perfect."

"Alright then. If you say so."

"I do. Now get out of my room and go make some dinner. We've been decorating for hours."

"Shit!" Lupin cursed, turning over his watch to look at the time.

My eyes widened at my uncle's choice of words. My father seemed to match my expression. "You feeling alright Moons?" Sirius asked.

Remus simply nodded, running a hand through his hair. "Yeah. Full moon is coming and it's starting to get to me."

My father brought him into a tight hug, embracing the man warmly. "It's okay. I got you."

A smile found its way onto my lips. "Don't forget about me!" I exclaimed, rushing towards the two men and squeezing myself in between them.

They laughed, bringing their arms around me to sandwich my body between theirs. "How could we forget about you?" Sirius asked, leaning down to kiss the top of my head.

"Now, get out," I told them, releasing myself. "There's a dinner to cook and no one there to cook it."

"Yes," Lupin replied, taking my father firmly by the hand. "Let's go Padfoot."

"As you wish my love." My father winked at me before exiting the room after the rushing werewolf.

I sighed as the door closed, spinning in a circle around my room before collapsing onto my bed. My bed. My room. My walls.

I had had several rooms across the years. All of them miniscule in comparison to this. It wasn't an overly large bedroom, but the door opened with hitting anything and I could walk from one side of the room to the other in more than five steps. It was odd, but I could not say that I didn't like it.

Now that I thought about it, it was the same size as the room I use in Malfoy Manor and yet I had never felt at home in that house, but this one was different. This one was home. This one was perfect.

I had unpacked my suitcase and my clothes now hung in a wardrobe. Anything that I had owned in our old house – my posters and trinkets – had been put up in the room, but somehow still weren't enough to fill the place.

"Lyra!" a voice screamed. "Dinner!"

I sat up quickly. It takes longer than that to cook dinner, so either I had been up here for more time than I thought, or they hadn't cooked at all. My guess was leaning towards the latter.