Chapter Twenty-Six - Full Moon

Word Count: 2,017.

Warnings: None.

"No!"

Pettigrew had fallen to his knees as though Potters nod had been his own death sentence. He shuffled forward on his knees, grovelling, his hands clasped in front of him as though praying.

"Sirius – it's me... it's Peter... your friend... you wouldn't..."

My father kicked out and Pettigrew recoiled. Black made his way closer to Moony, a snarl on his face.

"There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them," he muttered.

"Remus!" Pettigrew squeaked, turning to Lupin instead, writhing imploringly in front of him. "You don't believe this... Wouldn't Sirius have told you if they'd changed the plan?"

"Not if he thought I was a spy, Peter," said Lupin. "I assume that's why you didn't tell me, Sirius?" he said casually over Wormtail's head.

"Forgive me, Remus," my father spoke, his eyes saddened. Moony looked at him with an equal expression.

"Not at all, Padfoot," Lupin replied, beginning the roll up his sleeves. "And will you, in turn, forgive me for believing you were the spy?"

"Of course," said Black, and the ghost of a grin flitted around his gaunt face. I smiled slightly. He too, then began rolling up his sleeves. "Shall we kill him together?"

"Yes, I think so," Lupin spoke grimly.

"You wouldn't... you won't..." gasped Pettigrew. And he scrambled around to Ron. Then Hermione. And finally he turned his head slowly towards Harry.

"Harry... Harry... you look just like your father... just like him..."

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO HARRY?" roared Black. "HOW DARE YOU FACE HIM? HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT JAMES IN FRONT OF HIM?"

He then scurried over to me, dropping onto his knees and grasping onto the material of my legs. "Lyra?" he asked, looking up at me. "You'll – you'll help me, w-won't you?"

I pushed him back. "Get off me, you bastard." I spat.

Pettigrew's body fell to the floor as a fist connected with his face. "DON'T YOU DARE TALK TO MY DAUGHTER! DON'T EVEN LOOK AT HER! YOU DON'T DESERVE TO SPEAK TO HER! TO ASK FOR HER HELP!" he shouted, picking Peter up by the collar and bringing him to his feet.

"You sold Lily and James to Voldemort," Black continued, pushing the small man into the ground. "Do you deny it?"

Pettigrew burst into tears. It was horrible to watch; he looked like an oversized, balding baby, cowering on the floor.

"Sirius, Sirius, what could I have done? The Dark Lord... you have no idea... he has weapons you can't imagine... I was scared, Sirius, I was never brave like you and Remus and James. I never meant it to happen... He Who Must Not Be Named forced me –"

"DON'T LIE!" bellowed Black. "YOU'D BEEN PASSING INFORMATION TO HIM FOR A YEAR BEFORE LILY AND JAMES DIED! YOU WERE HIS SPY!"

"He – he was taking over everywhere!" gasped Pettigrew. "Wh-what was there to be gained by refusing him?"

"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who have ever existed?" my father asked. "Only innocent lives, Peter!"

"You don't understand!" whined Pettigrew. "He would have killed me Sirius!"

"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED!" roared Black. "DIED RATHER THAN BETRAY YOUR FRIENDS, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!" Black and Lupin stood shoulder to shoulder, wands raised.