Chapter Eleven - The Perfect Surprise

Word Count; 4,098.

Warnings: None.

I was quick to rush out of The Three Broomsticks when the man informed us of the latest news. I didn't give the boys around me any explanation before leaving my seat and pushing passed the man in the doorway.

Had they actually caught them? My father had, on occasion, left the safety of our house, but both myself and Moony had insisted that it should only be for dire circumstances. I wasn't sure that my father knew what the word dire meant.

The first place I could think to go was the Owlery. It was closer than the Common Room and I needed to send a letter to Grimmauld Place. I was surprised to find someone else at the top of the tower.

"Harry," I greeted.

He turned quickly, an already written and folded letter in hand. "Lyra."

"You got the same idea as me?" I asked him, pointing to the parchment in his grasp.

"Did you see the article?" he replied with a question, passing the letter into his snowy owl's talons.

"I was in Hogsmeade and some nutjob comes running into The Three Broomsticks, talking about how they've caught Sirius Black."

Harry nodded, sending Hedwig off before handing me a copy of the Daily Prophet. I read the headline of the article.

"Sirius Black spotted in London," I read aloud looking up to Harry, "that's not too bad."

"Keep reading," he replied, leaning himself against the wall.

I continued. "The infamous Black is said to be gathering his dark forces to march on the people of the wizarding – this is bullshit!"

"I'm not the one you need to convince," Harry commented. "Keep going."

I let out a huff, reading through the rest of the paper. "There are reports that Black using his daughter, one Lyra Black, to infiltrate the school of Hogwarts – what do they think I am? His puppet?"

Potter let out a laugh. "It seems so."

I threw the paper down onto the ledge. "Is there anything else in there?"

Potter shook his head. "Just the usual bullshit."

Leaned beside the boy, I began to fidget with the ring on my finger. The knot in my stomach returned.

"He'll be okay Lyra," Harry told me after a moment.

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" I asked him.

"A bit of both," he replied.

"Shit," I cursed, gaining Harry attention.

"What did I say?" he asked.

"Nothing." I shook my head. "I just realised that I left my date with no explanation." I quickly made for the door.

"Date?" Harry asked me, stopping me in my tracks as I turned to him.

"With Mattheo," I informed him.

He perked a brown. "Why wasn't I informed of this?"

"Maybe because it's none of your business," I replied sarcastically, leaving the Owlery and making my way down the stairs. Harry followed.

"Of course it's my business. Why wouldn't it be my business?" he asked.

"Because you weren't going on the date." I exited the stairwell, quickly making my way across the green.