Chapter Thirty-Five - Real

Word Count: 3,425.

Warnings: None.

My eyes opened slowly. Above me was nothing but darkness and turning to my side I found that around me lay shattered glass.

Trying to push myself up, I winced. My hands had come down on glass and the sharp shards now began to dig into my skin. Nonetheless, I pushed passed the pain, rising to my feet.

How had I survived that? The towers of prophecies had fallen on us. Us.

Turning around in circles, I searched for the boy I had ran with, heart quickening. "Riddle!" I called out, but only heard my words echo back to me.

"Lyra!" he replied, turning me to my left. I squinted my eyes, trying to spot the boy in the rubble but came up short.

Moving towards where I had heard his voice, I called out again. "Riddle!" The shattered glass crunched under my feet.

"Over here!" he screamed, closer than he had been before.

I kept moving. "Riddle-" my shout was cut short when my foot hit something solid. I looked down.

One of the crystal balls that had fallen from the towers lay by my feet. Feeling drawn to look at it, I bent down, taking the spherical object into my hand.

It was broken, cracked along its surface, a thin line running down its middle, meeting a point of impact.

"Lyra," it called. I turned the prophecy over, watching an image appear, the break it had sustained distorting the image.

"I'll take that," another voice spoke, the prophecy leaving my grip and soaring across the air and falling into the grasp of someone else.

The woman standing in front of me giggled. No, she cackled, holding the object in one hand and her wand in the other as she pointed it at me.

"Bellatrix," I breathed.

She tilted her head. "Hello dear cousin," she greeted, turning the prophecy in her grasp.

I began to back away from her but stopped when the glass began to crunch under my feet. I closed my eyes, heart clenching in fear.

Bellatrix snapped her head towards me. "Little Lyra Black. I've heard a lot about you from my Lord. He's seems pretty confident that you will join us."

Rigid, I let out a shaking breath. "His confidence may be misplaced."

She giggled again, moving closer to me, stepping over the piles of broken prophecies. "I do not think it is."

I backed away further but was only stopped when my leg hit a broken piece of metal from the towers that had once stood in the room.

"And why do you think that?" I asked her, my voice coming out quieter than I had intended.

"Because," she started, getting even closer again. Close enough now that she pushed her wand up against my cheek, turning it against my skin as she brought her body closer.

"I can smell the darkness in you," she told me in a whisper. "Hear it begging to get out."

She began to move around me, circling my figure with her breath on my neck. "And if you give me the chance," she paused, returning to her place in front of me. "I can help you to have to fun."

With a sudden burst of courage, I brought my hand up, reaching for the prophecy. She moved back, letting a cruel smile fall on her lips.

"You're a girl of few words," she commented, "but feisty none the less."