Chapter Four - Safety

Word Count: 2,511. 

Warnings: None. 

Making my way into the dining room, my fingers rubbing against the raised bump on my skin, I spotted Folley struggling to carry something. It was a platter of food that looked to be larger than the House Elf was.

"Merlin, Folley," I started, taking the food from her. "Why aren't you using your magic?" I asked her.

She was panting. "Mistress Carrow said that servants must carry the food in for their Masters."

I rolled my eyes at the woman's behavior. "And I suppose Lucius didn't disagree."

Folley quickly shook her head. "He claimed that it was a splendid idea and sent me to get the food."

I sighed. "I'll bring it in. You go and do whatever else it is you need to do," I told the House Elf.

"But Mistress Black –"

"I'll bring it in," I softened my voice. "He won't punish you for it, I won't let him."

Folley nodded hesitantly but quickly hurried back to the kitchen to attend to the rest of her tasks.

I took a deep breath before stepping through the dining room doors. The table went silent as I moved up it, placing the platter of food down in front of Mattheo's mother. I passed her an indifferent look.

"Have you got your family serving food now Lucius?" Adaline asked, taking a small sip of her wine as I turned away.

"Oh, he wishes," I replied before Lucius could. "I was just helping out Folley. She was struggling with the plates."

Lucius was sat at the head of the table, Narcissa to his left and Draco to the left of her. Adaline had seated herself at the other end of the table, Mattheo seated to her left. I settled myself beside my cousin.

"Folley?" Mattheo's mother questioned.

"The House Elf," Narcissa replied.

"Ah, those creatures."

The two women shared a firm look, each taking up their glass and sipping on it. An overbearing tension fell over the room as neither surrendered.

"We were just speaking of the coming school year," Lucius started, trying to pull his wife's gaze from the woman.

"Yes," Adaline agreed, turning to look at the man. "And how our Lord will bring great changes to the Ministry from within."

My hand froze, the fork halfway between my plate and my mouth. I put it down, picking up the drink that had been laid out in front of me.

"Yes." Lucius cleared his throat. "There will be great changes."

The room fell into a tense silence after Mr. Malfoy's comment. I didn't eat any of my food, picking at it with the points of my fork. It didn't look as appealing as it had been in Folley's arms.

Adaline was the only one who didn't seen tense in the stuffy room. She delicately cut her food, taking a sip of her drink after each bite.

"She scares me," Draco whispered in my ear.

I kept my gaze on the woman as I answered. "She's self-centered. There's a difference." I looked to my cousin.

"Don't piss her off," he told me sternly. "It's not my father you're dealing with this time. She can rip your head off without any repercussions."

"I'll try, but it's hard with people like her. From what I've learned she is a wicked human being. I would be wrong to let her away with it."

Draco sighed. "Getting involved with her, and Mattheo for that matter, is a sure way of getting He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named on your ass."