Chapter Twenty-Seven - Barty Crouch Jr.

Word Count: 3,721.

Warnings: None. 

"Where is it?" I asked myself, sorting through the piles of books around the Common Room.

Moving nearer to the fireplace, I started on the next pile, searching the titles for the one I wanted.

"History of Muggles, Defensive Spells, Counter Curses," I listed. "No. It's not there."

"And why would it be there?" Estrella spoke. I rolled my eyes, turning to see her leaning against the Common Room entrance, her eyes focused on her nails.

I took a deep breath. "Where did I put it?" I asked her.

"What?"

"You remembered that I was reading it, which mean that you remember everything that I don't, so where did I put it?"

She shook her head. "You left it on the table."

I made a noise of frustration, rubbing a hand over my face. "Fine then, where did you put it?"

Ella started to make her way towards me. "I'm in your head sweetheart. How could I move it?"

"Well, it has to be somewhere!" I started searching through the same piles of books again. It had to be in here.

"Why do you want this book so badly?" Estrella asked as she hunkered down beside me.

"Because it could tell me what I am. You're in my head. You know this."

She tilted her head. "What if it isn't a good thing? What you are?"

"I'll deal with that when it comes to it. I just want to know."

Estrella sighed, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "You don't need to. As long as you wear that necklace, you will never feel like you did again. The glass will never shatter."

I turned to look at her, my mind losing focus as her words invaded my mind. "Never?" I asked.

She smiled, shaking her head lightly. "Never," Estrella whispered.

"Lyra," a voice spoke up. I quickly turned from my mother to watch Mattheo enter the Common Room. When I turned back to my mother, she was gone.

"Where were you?" I asked him.

"Spent the night in the Room of Requirement after you went to bed. Theo was snoring."

I nodded, quickly rising from my position and placing my hands on my hips. "Sounds fun."

He noticed my distraught state. "Are you alright?" he asked.

My hand clasped around the chain that sat on my neck. "About last night. I'm sorry I overreacted. I must have sounded batshit crazy."

"Lyra, you've got a lot going on."

"And it was wrong of me to throw that on you. Thank you but there's no need to worry."

Mattheo shook his head, moving forward. "I don't think you're crazy Lyra. I believe you, okay? And I meant what I said. If you want to stay in control and keep that chain on, I'll keep you level-headed."

"There's no need."

"Lyra, I got you that necklace. For whatever reason it possessed me to do so, that means it's my fault that you're feeling like this in the first place, so let me help."

I sighed. "Did you see a Care of Magical Creatures book around here?" I asked him.

"Which one?"

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."