Chapter Ten - Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

Word Count: 3,001. 

Warnings: None. 

Friday after classes everyone was on their way to the Great Hall for the feast. There was a buzz in the air that we didn't usually see. One that had occurred when the Triwizard Tournament was first announced, but that had been some time ago. I didn't question it, deciding it was best to find out for myself and slowly made my way through the corridors of the castle.

"Lyra!" a voice called through the crowd.

I turned my head to find Mattheo making his way towards me, panting. "What do you want Riddle?" I asked.

"Come with me," he spoke, stopping a couple of paces from me.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I need to talk to you about something."

I took a quick glance at the Hall, the students filing in and filling up the tables. I watched Pansy begin hitting Draco over the head with a book. I sighed, turning back around the the brown-eyed boy.

"Alright." I told him before following the Slytherin through the school. He led me to the top of the Astronomy Tower.

"Are you finally going to tell me what's been bothering you?" I asked the boy once he had shut the door behind us.

He didn't turn to face me, hand poised on the handle, fist tense.

"Don't go with him." Mattheo whispered.

I watched him, confused. Riddle's body tensed as he spoke and I moved closer. "What?"

"Don't go with the Gryffindor," he spoke again, clearer this time. His voice was strained, as though it took a lot out of him to talk.

I scoffed, relaxing. "You mean Kenneth?"

"Whatever his fucking name it. It doesn't matter."

I nodded, before shaking my head lightly, eyes closed. "So, you ignore me for three months over the summer and then the past however many weeks we've been here and refuse to give me any explanation, and now that someone has asked me on a date, you suddenly care?"

Mattheo turned quickly, facing me with a stern expression. "Don't say that."

"Say what?" I matched his expression. "That I have a date?"

"That I don't care."

Taking a couple of steps forward, Riddle placed a hand on the side of my face, bringing his forehead to lean against mine. I sucked in a breath, instinctively closing my eyes.

"Of course I care, Lyra. Why do think I'm doing what I am?"

"Ignoring me?" I pulled away, leaving him at arm's length.

He watched me with a saddened expression before stepping back. I watched struggle to speak. "Just don't go with him."

"Why?" I asked pleadingly.

"You know why."

"No. I don't." I felt the pleading tone leave my voice as my frustration grew. "I don't know. I have no idea why because you won't tell me. You refuse to be around me for long periods of time and sometimes I find that you can't even look at me."

"That isn't the point of this conversation." His voice got quieter.

"Really?" I scoffed. "Well I think it is exactly the point of this conversation because it is only due to your ignorant attitude that I am going on this date in the first place."