Chapter Three - Mosmordre

Word Count: 2,276

Warnings: None

"Ladies and gentlemen... welcome! Welcome to the final of the four hundred and twenty-second Quidditch World Cup!" Ludo Bagman's voice spoke over the roar of the sound that was now filling the packed stadium.

Both Lucius and Draco were stood by the railings of the box, accompanied by the Minister himself, but I had taken a seat at the back of it, aiming to keep as far from the flying sports balls as possible.

"And now, without further ado, allow me to introduce... the Bulgarian Team Mascots!" There was a roar of approval.

"Veela!" I heard someone shriek and I perked up in my seat.

"Veela?" I muttered to myself. Veela were classified as a subject in both Care of Magical Creatures and DADA as if angered, they could tear you to shreds. I had no interest in looking at these odd creatures.

Angry yells soon filled the stadium. It was clear that the Veela had left, and the crowd hadn't wanted them to. I laughed lightly as I saw the Minister had joined in on these protests.

"And now," roared Ludo Bagman's voice, "kindly put your wands in the air... for the Irish National Team Mascots!"

There was a burst of colour through the stadium and I smiled, feeling the joy chorus through the people. I stood, moving to the side slightly so that I could see them.

What seemed to be a great green and gold comet had come zooming into the stadium. It did one circuit, then split into two smaller comets, each hurtling towards the goalposts. A rainbow arced suddenly across the pitch, connecting the two balls of light. The crowd 'oooohed' and 'aaaahed', as though at a firework display.

Now, the rainbow faded, and the balls of light reunited and merged; they had formed a great shimmering shamrock which rose up into the sky and began to soar over the stands. Something like golden rain seemed to be falling from it.

"Now, that's how you entertain a crowd." I muttered in response. "Not that Veela bullshit."

"What is?" Draco asked. "How are they doing that? I haven't heard of a spell that could do anything like this."

"Look closely at the shamrock," I told him, pointing to the green shape in the sky. "Leprechauns."

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, kindly welcome – the Bulgarian National Quidditch Team! I give you – Dimitrov!"

Scarlet figure began to shoot out from an entrance at the bottom of the stadium as Bagman continued to name the players.

"Ivanova! Zograf! Levski! Vulchanov! Volkov! Aaaaaand – Krum!"

The cheer seemed to be louder for Krum than any of the other players as a scarlet Quidditch player flew through the air, facing the crowds.

"Cocky." I found myself muttering.

"And now, please greet – the Irish Quidditch Team!" Bagman yelled. "Presenting – Connolly! Ryan! Troy! Mullet! Moran! Quigley! Aaaaaand Lynch!"

Seven green blurs swept onto the pitch, my eyes following them as they passed us. My gaze locked on something outside the arena.

Through a gap in the metal of the box, I could make out the shapes of the Quidditch supporters tents, each a different size to the other. It was desolate. Everyone was inside the stadium, watching the match. Just outside the borders of the Quidditch field stood a man in a long black coat. He surveyed his surroundings repeatedly, walking quite secretively through the grass.