Chapter Thirty - Cracked

Word Count: 4,470. 

Warnings: None. 

"Mattheo," I muttered. He turned to look at the Gryffindor that had just exited the maze.

His face fell. "Shit. It worked."

"What worked?"

"He's back! He's back!" Harry screamed, tears streaming from his eyes.

I turned to Mattheo who was aggressively rubbing his collarbone. His Dark Mark. My eyes widened, running from the Slytherin and pushing through the crowds.

"Harry!" I screamed, sliding to a spot beside the boy.

"He's back Lyra," he told me, turning to face me with tear stained eyes. His arms were still tightly wrapped around the body.

"I know." I pulled him into my side.

"I couldn't leave him. Not there." Harry pressed against me. I held his head in my hands.

I looked to the limp body in front of us. It was Cedric Diggory. The Hufflepuff Champion. I was right when I had noticed the boy wasn't moving, but I had assumed that they had been rendered unconscious. I was wrong.

Cedric Diggory was staring up at us with wide eyes and a blank expression. He didn't blink once.

I moved towards the boy, placing two fingers to his neck as I checked for a pulse. There wasn't one.

Taking Potter firmly in my arms, he continued to cry. I brushed the hair off his head gently, but I couldn't take my eyes off the body. The crowd was silent.

Crouch had done it. He had completed whatever deranged plan he came up with. Moving my gaze, I noticed that the Tri-Wizard Cup was settled on the ground beside us. It was a Port-Key. Of course.

I sighed. "I was too blind to see it."

Dumbledore was suddenly beside us, taking Harry firmly by the arms. He was pulled from my grasp. "Calm down Harry."

A sudden cry of pain turned my attention back to the stands of people where a man was slowly descending towards us.

"That's my son!" he screamed, reaching us quickly and collapsing beside the unmoving body. He held the Hufflepuff in his arms. "That's my boy!" he cried, rocking his son back and forth.

I found my eyes beginning to water at the man's reaction, a tear falling from my eye. I didn't even want to imagine what he was going through right now. It seemed too much to bear.

Draco came running down the field, panting heavily. He looked relieved to see Harry alive but gulped when his eyes landed on Cedric's dead body.

My eyes found Mattheo's. Crowds were pushing around him, students fleeing the arena. He stood still, looking at me with a saddened expression. He held the necklace I had been wearing up to me.

I sucked in a breath, quickly scanning my surroundings. Moody was slowly hobbling his way towards us. I needed to find the proof.

Standing up quickly, I rushed to Draco. "Take care of him."

Malfoy shook his head. "I -"

"Harry needs someone to comfort him right now and I have something that I need to do. It's really important that I get out of here now so you need to suck it up and go comfort the poor guy."

Moody was approaching quicker. I needed to leave. Now. Draco nodded, moving past me and kneeling beside the Gryffindor.

Harry looked up at him, watching the Slytherin's sympathetic expression before firmly taking his hand. They both looked back to the body, hands interlocked.