Chapter Eight - Advanced Potions

Word Count: 1,887. 

Warnings: None. 

The Astronomy Tower was the only place that I could think to go. I needed air, and although the majority of Hogwarts grounds was outside, the only place that seemed to give me the oxygen I needed was the closest to the sky I could get.

Without realizing, I had began to fidget with the ring around my finger, twirling it faster than it should be able to go. I heard the door of the tower open behind me and could only assumed that Theo had followed me up here.

"I don't like this new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He's a right git." I started. "Turning Malfoy into a fucking ferret. That's cruel. I take back what I said about him being a great Auror."

I took a deep breath. "I'm starting to think he truly is deranged."

"I haven't had the pleasure of a conversation with him yet," the stranger spoke and I closed my eyes, sighing. That wasn't the voice of my cousin.

When I turned around, I found Mattheo Riddle making his way towards me.

"I thought you were Theo." I told him, moving off the railings and heading for the door. "I'll leave you alone."

"Wait." Riddle spoke before I could reach the exit. I turned to him, only to find that he was shaking his head to himself. "Never mind."

I scoffed. "You can't do that. Change your mind." I told him. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing." He turned away from my gaze.

"You've been acting weird Riddle. First, you ignored me and now you take every opportunity to not talk to me."

I heard him sigh. "Just leave it Lyra. Please." His tone was almost pleading.

Hearing this in his voice I took a deep breath, swallowing my need to know. He would tell me when he was ready. He would.

"Alright. I'll leave it," I told him, moving to leave.

"Just like that?" he asked, my attention turning back to the boy as I sighed.

"Yes, Riddle. You told me to leave it alone, so I will. Stop contradicting your own words."

"Since when do you not contradict my words?"

"Since you've been ignoring me for a week." I told him. "Since you've been ignoring me all summer. Not one letter from you. Matrheo, did you even read any of mine?"

"I read them all."

"But didn't care to send one in return?" I took a deep breath. "Look, I thought that we had something. An understanding in the least and, something more even." I placed a hand on the doorknob. "But I guess I was mistaken. So I'm not going to wait around for you to decide that I can know about what's going on inside your head."

"Good." He replied.

"Good."

"Brilliant."

"Fantastic."

"Amazing!"

"Fucking spectacular!"

I left Mattheo in the Tower, heading for Professor Moody's office.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

Moody's classroom had been set up in the same place that every DADA teacher had taught us lessons in.

Since beginning at Hogwarts, I have seen three different Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers come and go. The first, Professor Quirrell, had turned out to be a follower of Voldemort and had been hiding what was left of the evil wizard behind his turban.