Chapter Twenty-Two - Quidditch House Cup

Word Count: 2,136

Warnings: None

"They're going to kill him." Harry Potter burst into the Great Hall. It was late in the evening, making the number of students in the Great Hall little to none.

Mattheo and I were sat at the Slytherin table, our books splayed out across the table. Snape had decided to spring a test on us. Unlike usual, the Professor had decided to give us one day to study, warning us in advance that the test was tomorrow.

Riddle claimed that he was terrible at Potion's, tasking me to help him through this test. I was fairly certain he had lied. The Slytherin had tried to act as though he didn't know the difference between a simple Sleeping Draught and the fatal Draught of Living Death, but it was clearly a terrible cover up rather than a lack of knowledge.

"Who's going to kill who Harry?" I asked, leaning my head on my palm as I turned to watch him enter the room. He looked furious.

"They're going to kill Buckbeak." He answered, leaning himself against the table we were sat at. He didn't sit down.

"The Hippogriff from Care of Magical Creatures?" Mattheo asked. My gaze turned to him.

"They're going to kill the Hippogriff?" Looking to Harry, I continued. "Why?"

"You should ask your cousin."

"Theo?"

"Malfoy."

"Shit."

Whether he was exaggerating or not, the creature had hurt him. Even if it was only a scratch. That was enough for the Ministry to execute any wild creature.

"How did Draco get someone to kill it?" I heard Mattheo voice.

"Draco tells his father everything that happens at school. It's kind of his trademark." I shook my head. "Lucius must have told the Ministry about it."

"You need to stop this Black." Harry urged.

"Me? What can I do?" Harry sat down, a look of determination on his face.

"Convince Malfoy to drop the bloody charges or something."

"This isn't the muggle world Harry. There are no dropping the charges once a decision has been made. Buckbeak hurt Draco, whether it was his fault or not. If there's no evidence of Malfoy lying, then you can't stop it."

He sighed, deflating. "So, they're going to kill him." His words came out as a statement, rather than a question.

I shook my head. "I can't believe him. How could Draco do something like this?"

"You may not notice it Lyra, but if he doesn't like you, he makes your life a living Hell."

"I've often found it's the opposite way around."

Harry shook his head, slouching in his seat. "Well, he must really like me then."

"Black." Mattheo spoke, my head turning to look at him but finding that his gaze was fixed on something behind me.

Entering the Great Hall was none other than the very person we were talking about. Draco. His expression turned cold once he noticed who was sat at our table.

"If it isn't little Potter." He started.

"Draco." I warned, but he ignored me.

"Are you upset about that beast? I am terribly sorry about that, but you see, I couldn't let it off without a punishment. It wouldn't be just."