Chapter Twenty-Nine - The Third Task

Word Count: 4,253. 

Warnings: None. 

"Lyra. There's nothing here," Riddle told me softly as I searched through the same row of books for the third time.

"There has to be something Mattheo," I replied.

It had been a week since the truth had been revealed about our DADA Professor and although I knew it to be the truth, we had no proof. Which is what led us to the library after classes. Every day.

"What are we even looking for?" He slumped against the shelf behind me. "We know that it's true. You saw him. Just go up to Dumbledore and tell the old fucker."

I shook my head, turning around to him. "I told you, he won't believe me. Not without proof." I braced my back against the shelf.

"Well, how do we find it? It's not like there's a spell that can tell us exactly what book he's read." Mattheo sighed, closing his eyes as his arms crossed over his chest.

My eyes widened, figure straightening. "That's it," I told him.

"What's it?" the boy asked, his eyes still closed.

"We find out what he's read recently," I explained, exiting the aisle and quickly making my way over to Madame Pince.

"What do you mean?" Riddle asked, following me quickly. "Is there an actual spell for that?"

I turned to Mattheo. "You'll see."

Turning to the librarian, I leaned myself against her table, smiling brightly at the woman. I drummed my fingers against the wood, waiting for her to turn around.

Madame Pince sighed glasses on the rim of her nose as she aggressively wrote something down. "What can I help you with Ms. Black?" she asked.

"Well," I started. "You know you're my favourite right?"

She rolled her eyes sarcastically. "Out with it Black. I have other things to do." She turned back to her work.

I took a deep breath. "I need to know what book Professor Moody last check out."

She stopped writing, turning to look at me. I gave her my best smile. "Why do you want that?"

"I want to get a head start on whatever our next topic is in Defence Against the Dark Arts," I lied.

Turning around, she flicked her wand at one of the binders that sat behind her desk. It landed in front of me with a heavy thump.

Swivelling in her chair, the librarian sat in front of the book, opening it carefully. "Alastor Moody," she muttered to herself, scanning her eyes over the names on the pages. "Here."

I leaned over, reading the name of the book to myself. "Port-Keys. A guided study."

I slumped back onto my heels. Why would he want a book on Port-Keys?

"Looks like he hasn't returned it yet. You can be sure that this is your next topic." Madame Pince closed the book, flicker her wand. The binder returned to its spot behind her desk.

"Now scram and go hide behind that shelf with Riddle before I realize that your excuse was a lie." Madame Pince turned back to her work.

I smiled at her. "Thank you." I quickly made for Riddle.

"No funny business in there! There are enough kids here already!" She rose her voice.

I shook my head, laughing at her. "Always the same Madame Pince. Always the same."