Chapter Twenty-One - Happy

Word Count: 2,623

Warnings: None.

Days passed, and I still hadn't talked to Lupin. He had promptly returned to classes, looking as ragged as ever, but free of the wolf for another month.

Yet again, classes had finished up for the week and Pansy had planned for the entirety of us to go to Hogsmeade. To, and I quote, "make up for the shitty trips we've had so far." She wasn't happy when I told her that I had to stay back for this excursion.

"What do you mean you can't go?" she had asked.

"I mean that I have so much homework piling up, that I don't have the time to go down to Hogsmeade." I lied.

I had lied. That was true. There was no homework piling up, in fact, there was no homework to do at all. I had finished everything that needed to be done the previous week.

The entry essay for the Advanced Potion's class was due today, and I planned to mull it over before making a decision. I might as well give myself an entire day to figure it out.

"Lyra?" I heard Lupin's voice ask as I walked through the corridor, heading for the potion's classroom.

Moony was stood at the entrance to the DADA classroom, his kind smile beckoning me in.

"I have somewhere to be." I stated, moving away.

"Lyra. Come here." His voice softened even further, and I couldn't help myself as I walked into the large room.

"Sit down." Moony continued, taking his seat at his desk.

"I'd prefer to stand." He nodded in compliance before sighing.

"I'm sorry." He started.

"Moony -"

"Let me speak. Let me tell you what I need to and then you can walk out of this room or listen for longer if you would like." I nodded, pulling the Potion's essay I was holding closer to my chest.

"I'm sorry I never told you about your father. About your family. I never thought that it was something you would like to know, the details surrounding them."

"And when you asked, I froze. I haven't talked about any of it in 12 years, and the daughter of the man I-" he cut himself off, correcting the sentence. "The daughter of my friend asking me to tell her about all of the terrible things that happened... caught me off guard."

"I've been ignoring you. I have. I didn't want to face it. I didn't want you to hear it all because then," he paused. "It's stupid, but I thought that once you learned of your family, that you wouldn't want to be mine anymore. You're not the last Black, you do know that Lyra?"

I nodded, pulling the chair out and sitting in it. Moony fiddled with his fingers on the desk. I clasped my hands around his as he continued.

"So, I want you to ask every question that you've ever wanted answered and I will tell you everything I know."

"Who was he?" I answered almost instantly. "Who was my father?"

Remus smiled, almost sadly. "He was one of the most amazing people I've ever met. He was head-strong, stubborn and very prone to trouble. A lot more than you even. I went to Hogwarts with him. As did Harry's parents and several of your classmates' parents also." I smiled.

"He never agreed with what his family preached. The Pure-Blood supremacy. The hate against Muggles and Muggle-born wizards and witches. He was against all of it. He escaped that, living with the Potters for some time."