Chapter Six - Too Forgiving

Word Count: 2,255.

Warnings: None.

After Divination, the Gryffindor and Slytherin Houses made the long walk across the school to Transfiguration class.

Professor Trelawney had gone on about Neville being late to the next Divination class, and how Lavender Brown's dreaded day was coming, making both Houses late for Professor McGonagall's class. One of the only classes you didn't want to be late to.

Theo had stuck close to my side once we left the odd classroom and its equally odd occupant, there still being no sign of the new student. Pansy and Blaise decided to ditch the class, never really having the flare – as Pansy would say – for the subject. Draco was nowhere to be found. I hadn't seen him in Divination either. He was never a morning person.

"So, some dog is going to kill you?" I heard Ron speak from behind me and Theo who were casually strolling along the corridor as students rushed by us. The three behind us didn't seem to be in a rush either.

"That's not what it means Ron," Harry replied.

"Animagi maybe?" Hermione suggested. I stiffened. Theo noticed my change in stature as we walked, placing his hand in mine and squeezing gently.

"What?" Both Ron and Harry quickly replied.

"It's a wizard who can transform into an animal at will." I answered, slowly my steps for a moment so I was now standing beside them. Theo followed; his hand still grasped in mine.

I knew all about Animagi, being one myself. I knew that my father was one, as was Harry's father and their other friend Peter Pettigrew. It was one of the few things I knew about my dad. About Sirius Black.

Becoming an Animagi was a hard thing to do, as it took a little bit of practice, and a lot of luck. Fortunate for me, I had the right motivation. Moony tended to get aggressive when Wolfie came out to play. The ability to turn into an eagle at will helped me so that I didn't get mauled.

"Why would an Animagi be following me around?" Harry asked.

"Maybe it's Sirius Black. Watching you." Ron gulped nervously, hugging the books he was holding to his chest.

My throat tightened at the sound of his name, Theo's grip becoming tighter in my hand. The three of them didn't seem to notice.

"Was Sirius Black an Ani- whatever?" Harry asked.

"Animagi. You could say Animagus either. The Animagus is the animal they turn into." I answered.

"Right, that." Potter replied, adjusting his Transfiguration book in his arms.

"Well, he could have been. From what I've hears, he was pretty popular," Hermione continued, "he was on the Quidditch team with your father Harry, and he's in the top 5 students of the year 1979." She paused, watching our confused expressions, "the yearbook is in the library."

"So he was smart." Ron confirmed. Hermione simply nodded.

I took interest in the facts Hermione talked about. I hadn't known he was on the Quidditch team, or that he was a top student. I didn't really know anything about him.

The conversation had continued flowing, but I had stopped listening.

His name was Sirius Black. He graduated in 1976. His best friends were James Potter, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew, and he was an Animagi. That was it. I didn't ask for more and I didn't get it. Did I want more? Lupin's words came to mind.

"You look exactly like your mother. Did I ever tell you that?" he answered. I shook my head gently. Taking a deep breath, he grasped the handle of my suitcase, "but no matter how much you look like her," he continued.