Chapter Twenty-Five - Happiness

Word Count: 3,618. 

Warnings: None.

Lyra's POV

Mattheo Riddle looked quite peaceful when he slept. It was something that I had noticed before. When his eyes closed and his mind rested, the boy seemed to be the happiest. I placed my hand in his, brushing a thumb back and forth across his skin.

It had been three days since he had appeared on our doorstep and it was Christmas morning. The entire house smelled of Molly's cooking and there was not a moment of silence in the entire Manor.

I hadn't left his side in the three days that he had been sleeping. There were surely better things for me to be doing, like seeing my mother. My mother. The woman we all thought dead fifteen years.

It was odd. Having her in front of me. Odd in the way that I had never had a mother, believing her to be dead my entire life and odd in the way that it didn't feel... right.

"Knock, knock," someone spoke up, knocking on the open door. Harry Potter walked in.

"Hey Potter," I greeted.

"How's he doing?" he asked me, approaching my side.

"Still sleeping," I sighed. "How's everyone downstairs?"

"Missing you," he replied, giving me a smile. "It's odd having your mother there."

I shook my head. "Odd is one word."

"She just found out that Sirius and Remus are together," he told me, taking another chair and seating himself down.

"Oh?" I asked.

"She said, 'well that I fucking knew'."

I laughed lightly. "Sounds like something I would say."

"I don't know," he started. "She's seems to just fit in perfectly. As though she was never missing from the table."

I nodded. "Yes. She does, doesn't she?"

Harry tilted his head at me. "Are you alright?"

I took a breath. "I don't know. There's a lot going on and I don't know how to process it all."

He settled back into his chair, opening his arms in a welcoming gesture. "Spill," he told me.

I turned to look at him. "What?"

"Tell me. Tell me it all. I'll listen."

I shook my head. "You don't want to hear my troubles."

"Maybe not, but I've got make sure you aren't going dark," he replied. "And having no secrets between us is the best way to do that."

"Lyra," a whispering voice spoke, and I my head shot to the boy in the bed. Mattheo's eyes were opening.

"Riddle?" I asked, standing up and approaching his side. "Hey."

Harry stood too, moving to the other side of the bed. "Welcome back Mr. Riddle," he told the brown-eyed boy.

"What... what happened?" he asked, making to sit up.

I quickly took the pillows from behind his head and propped them up to rest his head on when he sat back.

"You showed up bleeding on my doorstep," I explained, moving back to face him and seating myself on the bed by his side.

"Right." He pointed to me. "That."

Potter laughed lightly. "I'll leave you two to it," he told us. "Make sure you come down for food. It's Christmas." Harry made for the door.