Chapter Five - Divination

Word Count: 2,362.

Warnings: None.

The classroom at the top of the castle was a strange one. I had never been in a classroom like it. In fact, it didn't look like a classroom at all, more like a cross between a person's attic and an old-fashioned tea shop.

At least twenty small, circular tables were crammed inside it, all surrounded by chintz armchairs and fat little pouffes. Everything was lit with a dim, crimson light; the curtains at the window were all closed, draped with dark red scarves.

It was stiflingly warm, and the fire which was burning under the crowded mantelpiece was giving off a heavy, sickly sort of perfume as it heated a large copper kettle.

When I entered the room, some of the students took the advantage of the loud room to voice their thoughts. Most of them were about me.

"Did you hear about her father?"

"Maybe they'll team up and kill a couple students."

"Or maybe they might just send her back to Azkaban with her. It would make the school safer."

"So, new guy?" Pansy spoke, my attention moving from the whisperings of the room.

We made our way across the crowded space, the conversation blending into the chatter of the rest of the classroom as we continued talking.

"What about him?" I asked, pushing past a Gryffindor who was stood in the middle of the room. Neville Longbottom, I believe his name was.

"Well, he seems to know Theo awfully well," she began, "and as Theo's favourite and only cousin, you know Theo very well."

"Thank you for clearing up the obvious Pans." I answered. She scoffed, grabbing the sleeve of my robe and turning me to face her.

"So, do you know who he is?" she asked, our movement ceasing.

Shaking my head, I answered, "No, I have no idea who he is." Pansy looked at me sceptically.

"Hey Lyra." a voice rose through the chatter. Theo was sitting in one of the armchairs, a small wooden table placed in front of him, "Partners?" he asked.

The moment he finished asking his question, Blaise strolled into the room, clasping his arms around Pansy and dragging her across the other side of the room. She didn't protest.

"Black?" Theo asked again, "come on."

Smiling softly, I sat in the plush seat opposite him. The seat wasn't as comfortable as I first perceived. Although the red material of the chair looked to be soft, it seemed that it was simply a façade.

"So, how have you been?" Theo asked, his previous inviting tone becoming worried as his eyes locked on mine.

"Fine, how about you and your new best friend?" I replied, noticing that the new student wasn't in the classroom. Theo sighed.

"I'm sorry," he muttered. I noticed the venom that had been in my voice and immediately sat straighter.

"No, don't be sorry, it was obviously important." I replied, my tone completely changed. He shook his head softly.

"You have to stop doing that." he stated. Sighing, I sank back into my seat, resting the back of my head against the scratching red material.

"Doing what?" I asked, closing my eyes.

"Forgiving people so easily. I completely ignored you after the train yesterday. When you needed me." he explained.

"You had a good reason." I replied, looking sideways at him, "besides, I'm fine." Theo didn't look convinced.