Chapter Two - The Invitation

Word Count: 3,386.

Warnings: None.

I didn't sleep at all that night, tossing and turning around in my bed. My eyes refused to close.

The ring on my hand had returned to being my nervous tick and I felt as though the silver band had been worn down by my constant fidgeting.

I hadn't forgotten about last night but had decided to put it as far away from my thoughts as possible. It wasn't my focus at the moment. My Potion's homework was.

"It's unethical. Giving homework over the Summer," Sirius complained.

I shook my head, quickly scribbling words across my page. "It's Snivellus."

"I'm going to give that man a piece of my mind," my father began, making for the front of the house. Moony took the man by his shoulders and dragged him back into the kitchen, sitting him down into a chair.

"No," he put simply.

"But –"

Remus pushed the man back down, placing his hand firmly on his shoulders. "You can't leave the house unless it is for dire circumstances," my uncle tried to explain.

"This is dire circumstances." He tried to stand up again, but Lupin simply held him down. The werewolf was definitely stronger than Black.

"It's fine dad. I don't mind doing Potion's homework," I told him.

Sirius shook his head. "Stupid," he muttered. Lupin turned away, exiting the kitchen. 

I laughed lightly, finishing a sentence at the end of the page. "Anything to do with Snape is stupid, but not doing it will result in detention and I do not want any of those this year. I need to get my grades back on track."

Sirius sighed, leaning his face in his hands. He looked at me with an expression I couldn't quite place.

"What?" I asked him, placing my quill down to match his stare.

"You're my daughter," he told me.

I perked a brow at his words. "Tell me something I don't know."

He smiled. "I am so proud of you."

I shook my head at his words, returning to my paper. "And what have I done to deserve that?"

"You -"

"We got a letter," Moony spoke up from behind us, the kitchen door opening.

"Another letter from the Order?" I asked.

The two of them froze, turning their heads to look at me. "How -"

"Oh, come on. I've been living with you two for three months. Do you think I don't notice the letters with the same handwriting that keep coming in or the people after hours? I'm not an idiot."

Remus scoffed a laugh. Sirius looked scared. "We're sorry we didn't tell you," he spoke up.

I shook my head at him. "You were trying to keep me safe. I researched the Order of the Phoenix. It was a dangerous group to be in, but," I paused. "I would like to be part of it."

"No," Lupin put firmly.

"I agree," Sirius added.

Sighing, I sunk back into my chair. "I'll find a way in one way or another, you should just comply with my wishes. Make it easier on yourselves."

"No," they firmly put at the same time.

"Okay." I deflated, picking up my quill again.

"It's not from the Order actually," Lupin continued. "It's for you." He placed the letter on the table in front of me.