Chapter Sixteen - Fallout

Word Count: 2,492.

Warnings: None. 

I think I'm going to be sick," I muttered, feeling my stomach churn.

"Your father killed my parents." Harry stated and I turned my head to look at him.

"My father killed a lot of people."

"He was my father's best friend and he betrayed them." He looked at me, hurt. "Did you know? Did you know what he did?"

I shook my head, "I knew that he was a friend of your fathers, but I swear I never knew about any of that." I gestured to the pub.

"I don't believe you. You must have known. You're his daughter."

"Did you not hear anything they said?" I asked. "He abandoned me, Harry. Why would I want anything to do with the man that left me?!"

Harry shook his head. "Your father killed my parents. He lied to them. Have you?"

"Have I what Potter?" I asked, breathless.

"Lied to me. You lied about not knowing about our fathers."

"I learned just as much as you did in there."

"I don't believe that. I don't believe you." He walked away, leaving me with my hands on my knees, bracing myself as I breathed heavily, the air seeming to be avoiding my lungs.

I looked to the castle, finding one of the windows of the towers. I had learned more about my father from eavesdropping than I had from the man who raised me. My father was a killer who betrayed three of his friends and abandoned me for Voldemort, and my uncle had defended him.

I was upset at Moony as I ran out of Hogsmeade, headed back to Hogwarts, but the minute I entered the stone walls, sadness no longer washed over me. I was angry. I was so fucking angry.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

The corridors were empty of students, the majority of them at Hogsmeade still. No one saw me as I made my way to the teachers' quarters. There was nothing in my way.

Lupin's door was closed, but I didn't take notice of it barging right in. He jumped, holding out his wand at me.

"Merlin, Lyra, knock," he sighed, dropping his wand.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, the anger that had been festering leaving me for a moment.

"Tell you what?" he asked, as if almost tired of the question.

"That my father wasn't just a murderer. That he betrayed Harry's parents and murdered Peter Pettigrew." His face fell.

"Who told you that?" he asked, jaw tensing.

"Does it matter?"

"Where did you hear that?"

"It doesn't matter where I heard it."

"Where did you hear it?" he almost shouted.

"The Minister was talking to some of the Professors at the pub. They were talking about him." I answered, my voice beginning to shake.

Lupin never shouted. Not at me. Of course there were moments where his temper would get the better of him, but he never got angry at me. He noticed his mistake.

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes in thought. "That is what the papers wrote, because that is what they believed happened."

"That's probably because it was the truth."